Baccalaureate: What you need to know

Another annual senior tradition at Los Al

Aleina Tuufuli

This years tassel and awards that students are expected to wear in order to recognize their accomplishments.

Aleina Tuufuli, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – As the 2023 school year comes to a close, this year’s senior class is gearing up for graduation. Annual traditions such as senior awards night have already occurred, but this week, May 29th to June 2nd, has three events lined up in celebration of this year’s graduating class. The more well-known traditions consist of Senior Sunset at Seal Beach and the Senior Parade this Saturday at 9 a.m.. However, one lesser known celebration happening this week is baccalaureate. For more information regarding senior activities, click here

The baccalaureate ceremony originated at the University of Oxford in the 15th century. Each student was obligated to administer a sermon in Latin in commemoration of their accomplishment at their graduation. Initially, a baccalaureate was a religious ceremony held the Sunday prior to graduation. Now, this formality is commonly non-religious but has come to have a traditional purpose for a senior class. 

For us here at Los Al, a baccalaureate has become a more intimate ceremony compared to graduation and senior awards night. The evening is spent recognizing students’ academic achievements for the entire graduating class. It offers a unique opportunity for them to reflect on their academic career over the last thirteen years with their friends and listen to speeches given by fellow peers. The baccalaureate ceremony gives seniors and their families the chance to celebrate their accomplishments without the hectic vibes often associated with the actual graduation. 

Over the years, the baccalaureate has become another tradition added to the many other rites of passage seen towards the end of one’s senior year. This intimate commencement is yet another opportunity for seniors to be celebrated and congratulated for their incredible feats over the last few years. 

A map provided by school admin for parking and where to line up

Los Al’s annual baccalaureate ceremony will be taking place this Thursday, June 1, at the school’s turf. The ceremony will begin at 6:30 p.m.. All graduates are expected to arrive in their cap and gown at the JV baseball fields an hour prior to the beginning of the ceremony. Those receiving academic honors recognition, such as the Seal of Biliteracy or A-G requirements, must check-in in order to acquire their name card to be read during the ceremony.