Malachi Nelson: “I just want to make a difference”

Malachi+Nelson+at+Viking+Memorial+Stadium+against+Santa+Margarita+High+School+

Canva

Malachi Nelson at Viking Memorial Stadium against Santa Margarita High School

Sofia Youngs, Editor

LOS ALAMITOS, CA– Malachi Nelson, a current senior at Los Alamitos High School, has made his mark in the Los Alamitos and Southern California area through his football, faith, and how he views the world around him. 

Throughout Nelson’s time at Los Alamitos High School, fame and attention is nothing to him; following his first sports scholarship in middle school, it was clear that the footballer’s future was bright. Nelson’s teams remark on his optimistic attitude about whatever setback his teammates may encounter on and off the field with a level head, outstanding problem-solving ability, and understanding of how to make the best of any scenario because of his level head and remarkable leadership talents.

“I really just want to make a difference for my team and community while I’m still [at Los Al],” Nelson said following a 47-14 win against Servite High School on Friday. Although the match followed Los Al’s loss against Basha High School on September 15th, Nelson addresses how he hopes to make a positive impression on viewers and anyone else watching who wants to pursue sports as a career by working hard, being dedicated, and overcoming adversity. 

“Inspiring people in the stands is what I like to do,” Nelson said. Following his spectacular performance on Friday, Nelson was quickly besieged by loving admirers eager to meet with him or pose for a quick photo with the budding star. Although football has played a significant role in Nelson’s early success, he believes that staying focused on his goals is what is propelling him to a star-studded career as he approaches college and, ultimately, the NFL draft after graduation from the University of Southern California.

At the age of 18, Nelson appears to be on the verge of becoming a brilliant professional football player. As he completes his senior year of high school, the young man exhibits a level of maturity above his years, and his commitment to hard work will pay off as his career develops.

The next game is today at 7 p.m. at Veterans Stadium against Santa Margarita, in which Nelson seeks to rectify the previous year’s 21-42 loss.