Mental Health Awareness Month

What is Mental Health Awarness Month and why is it important?

Kate

“Give one to get one” sign, along with inspirational quotes created by students in the wellness center

Kate Schumacher, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA– Since 1949, Mental Health Awareness Month has been observed each May in the U.S.. Mental Health Awareness Month is in place to provide support, fight stigma, and educate the public. Mental Health Awareness Month is also in place to promote policies that benefit those struggling with mental illness. 

Mental illness includes a variety of different conditions that vary in severity, including disorders such as depression, obsessive compulsive disorder, bipolar disorder, and schizophrenia.

Why is raising awareness important?

According to the National Institute of Health, one in five adults living in the U.S. are diagnosed with one or more mental illnesses. That’s over 50 million people, not counting minors or undiagnosed individuals. 

“Celebrate the fact that everybody has a hard time every now and then,” Mrs. Ledterman from the Wellness Center said. “I love that we have gotten into a place in the world where it’s okay to say you’re really having a hard time.” 

Mental Health Awareness Month is not only for those struggling with mental illness but to emphasize the importance of maintaining a healthy mindset and mental wellness. This includes managing stress levels and taking breaks when necessary. 

What is Los Al doing to observe Mental Health Awareness Month? 

The Wellness Center is open during school hours for a peaceful environment, allowing students having a hard time to take a second and relax. Students are also welcome to participate in activities such as painting, yoga, or meditation. In addition to physical activities, the Wellness Center has a board that is changed monthly with questions such as “What’s a song that motivates you?” 

The Wellness Center also held a lunchtime workshop on Thursday, May 18. A representative from the Orange County Department of Education talked about affirmations and the importance of practicing self-care.

Similar to Black History Month, Pride Month, and Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Mental Health Awareness Month is important to educate the public on what people can do to spread awareness and show support.