Los Al dance show ‘The Night Council’: Behind the scenes

Behind the scenes of the Los Al dance program’s recent show

Los Al dance program

Dancers performing in front of vertical sheets before the Kabuki drop.

Kate Schumacher, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — Los Alamitos High School’s dance program hosted its final dance show of the year, “The Night Council,” from Wednesday, April 26 to Saturday, April 29. Behind this magical performance is a team of talented and dedicated individuals who worked tirelessly to create an unforgettable experience for both the dancers and the audience. 

Los Al chemistry teacher Mr. Jones works as stage manager for each dance show. Mr. Jones manages everything from adding wheels to a podium to adding rain to a set without flooding the stage. As a part of the most recent show, Mr. Jones was able to set up a technique called a Kabuki drop, where white sheets drop vertically from the ceiling. Despite the challenge of learning, Mr. Jones was able to make it happen.

“There is a point at which the white sheets then need to fall completely to be removed. That was one I wasn’t sure if I could do, but I eventually got it,” Mr. Jones said. 

While Mr. Jones does most of the onstage work, a group of PAC (Performing Arts Center) technicians also helped to keep the show running smoothly. Often dancers are brought to help paint different sets. For the most recent show, five PAC technician students helped run the production. During the show, Mr. Jones’ job was to communicate with the technicians. For each show there is one person responsible for specific sections such as lighting, sound, and a few backstage props. Each technician is on a headset listening to commands of when to change the lights or music.

“In one sense I don’t accomplish anything, but then in the other sense, everyone is just kind of waiting for me. It’s kind of a fun challenge because it’s really hard to get it all right,” Mr. Jones said.

In order to make sure everything falls at the correct time, individual students are tasked to pull on specific ropes. During the Kabuki drop, dancers worked together to unclip and pull ropes enabling the sheets to drop from the ceiling. Then from behind the curtain, dancers yanked on the bottom of the ropes. The top of the fabric is held up with clips which when pulled, gracefully drop the sheets to the ground. 

For the main part of this scene, two dancers work together to connect a ring and lift it, allowing the ring to “float” and dancers to perform acrobatics while others dance below. To allow the ring to rise, one dancer connects the ring to the rope, while another pulls the rope, causing the floating illusion. 

Behind the assortment of magical, sparkling lights are individual wires going along the floor, which people turn off and on at specific times throughout the show. While the wires were a challenge to work around, PAC and stage managers ensured the safety of the dancers.