‘Dwellings’: A Visual Arts Show

Los Alamitos High School’s visual arts program presents yet another exhibit showcasing the hard work artists have put forth

Adding+on+an+eccentric+scheme+of+colors%2C+digital+artist+Ryder+W.+spent+two+weeks+on+this+piece.+

Ryder W.

Adding on an eccentric scheme of colors, digital artist Ryder W. spent two weeks on this piece.

Adalie Landa, Editor

LOS ALAMITOS, CA —  Students of the digital arts and 3D design classes have collaborated to compose pieces that delve into architecture. Look forward to this week, Feb. 14-17, Tuesday through Friday at lunch, for the display of these projects at the Griffin Gallery.

The vision and design

The 3D Design artists designed various dwellings made out of soft materials like cardboard and other materials such as rock and wire. Digital Art students used Photoshop to create virtual designs of 3D structures using photos of real material. 

One of the digital art students described his two-week process of developing an original project.

“It depicts two surfers heading towards the water in the early morning,” said Luke Charlton, a Los Al freshman. “My vision for my art piece was to have it create a calm but powerful feeling in the observer.”

Some digital artists wanted their piece to represent deeper meaning, and others intended for their art to represent simplicity.

A captivating, comfortable dwelling produced by a Digital Art student. (Kiera P.)
Sophia McRae hoped to create a serene beach home with a backdrop of an ocean and sunset. (Sophia McRae)

Los Al digital artist, Ryder W., emphasized the flexibility of interpretation with his piece.

“My vision of doing this is to have people look at this piece and wonder why the man is there and imagine a story of what is going on.” said Ryder W., a Los Al freshman.

Process of display

The art show hopes to highlight the creative craftsmanship of the 3D Design and Digital Art students who spent from one to two weeks producing their projects. 

“As long as they were following directions, their art can be displayed, [so] I tried to include as many as I can,” said Mr. Long, the Digital Art teacher, regarding the designs constructed by his students. 

Because there is less space to present the physical 3D Design structures, Ms. Ferrell, the 3D Design teacher, reasonably limited the capacity of projects.

Once again, as long as the projects hit the goals of creative interpretation and clever craftsmanship, they were displayed.

Art’s presence on Los Al’s campus

Both visual art teachers and students hope there will be a larger influence of art integrated into the lives of Los Al students. 

“Los Al should host more public viewings of artwork so that all pieces may be displayed and admired,” said digital artist Sofia Alvarez, another Los Al freshman.

The attention that programs such as the performing arts and sports receive should be equal with the visual arts program.

“Our school should invite people to join workshops to create their own, unique art,” Los Al senior Sophia Mcrae said.

Students of the visual arts program search for the level of inclusivity and respect given to other programs. 

Attending the art show at the Griffin Gallery, the corner of the 600 buildings on Los Al campus, will recognize the hard work and dedication of these students’ efforts to bring open-minded interpretation to art. You may even find some interest in joining the visual arts program while viewing the gallery.