%237+Malachi+Nelson+analyzing+the+play+on+the+Griffins+sideline+%28Jamisen+Penick%29+

Jamisen Penick

#7 Malachi Nelson analyzing the play on the Griffins sideline (Jamisen Penick)

Griffins face off Monarchs in third round of CIF playoffs

Los Alamitos High School will face of the Mater Dei Monarchs at the Santa Ana Stadium this Friday.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — Los Alamitos High School won against Long Beach Poly High School 54-42 at Veterans Memorial Stadium last Friday. This Friday, the Griffins will go up against the Mater Dei Monarchs at the Monarch’s Santa Ana Stadium.

“I’m not on the football [team], but I’m hoping we’re going into next week’s game guns-a-blazing,” Sawyer Mulligan, senior, said. The Griffins, with a heavily improved defense, especially with their running drive, and over 300 rushing yards, dominated the field in the second half. Although Los Al was intercepted in the first drive in the first quarter, the game was an overall dogfight with points flying across the stadium.

“I expected to get more points,” Malachi Nelson said. Before the game, several Poly players were suspected of injury; however, the rumors seemed to be false as a vast majority of the first-string players appeared to be playing on the field.

Both teams played phenomenally with both teams’ defense marching across the field throughout the entire game. Long Beach Poly did score a few more touchdowns, but they were aware that they had little to no chance of catching up. As a result, their confidence and general play declined throughout the second half.

Los Alamitos Student Section (LOCOS) cheering on the players during half-time. Photo: Jamisen Penick

“I’m looking forward to next week [against Mater Dei]. I know what people are thinking, but I’m ready to prove them wrong,” Nelson said. Los Al’s next game will be against Mater Dei, currently an undefeated team and number one in the country. The school, located in Santa Ana, is not only known for its excellence in sports, but for academics as well.

Alex Russell (right) filming Los Al before the game began. Photo: Jamisen Penick

“I don’t know how this game is going to go… It’s Mater Dei,” senior Grace Phelps said. The chances are now against Los Al, which is currently ranked number 24 nationally and number four in California. Even though it might be true, this forecast and other assertions were made during the victorious Friday game versus Poly. 

More information about the game and ticket sales can be found here.

The Griffin Gazette • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$50
$1000