Mural Art Show: The works that beautified our campus

Los Al’s visual arts program presents a mural art show and a silent auction this Friday.

Alicia Tan

Three student pieces that will be displayed in the upcoming mural art show.

Alicia Tan, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – Those who were on campus when Los Alamitos High School’s three story building was in construction may remember a variety of large, artistic paintings adorning the sound proof walls that surrounded the site. This Friday, Oct. 28, the Los Al visual arts department will be presenting these same pieces at lunch and after school until 6 PM in the Griffin Gallery, located on the outer corner of the 600 building next to the restrooms.

A flier for this Friday’s mural art show and silent auction. The event will take place in the Griffin Gallery (Los Alamitos Visual Arts)

The murals featured in the art show were all created by Mr. Long’s digital art students. When construction first started on the new three story building, Ken Lopour, one of the school administrators at the time, asked the art department to decorate the temporary walls.

“I said that my digital art classes would love to do that,” Mr. Evenstarr Long, the digital art teacher, explained. “We get so stuck on it being just a computer, but oftentimes computers should be used and are used to come up with drafts and ideas that will be executed in real life.”

Mr. Long and his students did a new set of designs every year while construction was still happening. After creating drafts on their computers, Mr. Long’s classes would vote on their favorite designs and work together to paint them. During the 2020 to 2021 school year, though, Mr. Long hand painted all the murals by himself due to COVID-19. Still, the murals were a collaborative effort that took the work of multiple student artists, not just the ones who designed them. However, now that the three story building is done, the temporary walls and the murals have been taken down.

“I wanted to give one final show to appreciate all the things that came out of…that time and not just have them be thrown away with the rest of the scraps,” Mr. Long said.

Along with showcasing the pieces that were once used to decorate campus, the mural art show also acts as an auction where teachers and staff can bid on murals to display in their classrooms or on campus and to show their support for the Los Al art program.

“Since we had [the murals] up around campus, some of the staff said that they really liked them and that they wanted to keep them on campus,” Mr. Long said. “A lot of the [students]…felt that the place they should stay is on campus, so they donated [them].”

Em Burch, a digital art student who created two of the mural designs, commented on having their piece in the art show.

“I designed it for the campus, so having it displayed in a campus gallery is exciting,” Burch said.

Additionally, Mr. Long shared that the art show goes beyond just displaying art; it’s a retrospective that highlights pieces from Los Al’s past.

The murals are a great example of how student art can be used to beautify the campus, spread information, and make a change,

Mr. Long explained. “Many of the murals contain messages and meanings that the designers and the students that voted on them and painted them wanted to share with the campus.”

This is true for Burch, who shared that art is a form of self-expression for them.

“I love the creative aspect [of art] and being able to display my voice without any words,” Burch said. “I have two murals up in the art show, and they’re both going to loving teachers.”

Students are highly encouraged to attend the mural art show to show support for the visual art program and appreciate the incredible pieces on display.

“For the viewers, [the mural art show] is a way to support other artists in their growth, a beautiful way to relax and spend their time, and a visual way to learn about what messages are important to their peers,” Mr. Long said.

The art program plans to host more events in the future, including additional art shows as well as interactive events such as button making, face painting, and art sales. For now, though, the mural art show is a great way to recognize Los Al’s artists.

“Come check it out; bring a friend,” Mr. Long encouraged. “Even if they’re not the primary designer, every person in my class helped paint them.”