Three new teachers, their first three weeks

Ryan Park, Staff Writer

As the first 3 weeks of school come to a close, student opinions have been strong. Whether it was a first test or copious amounts of homework, there was always something to talk about. While the focus has been on students, let’s shift attention to the teachers. New teachers are also experiencing Los Al for the first time. Mrs. Marriot, Mr. Michelson, and Mrs. Miranda give us their thoughts.

Mrs. Marriot (English)

1. Could you tell me about your past as a teacher?

This is my first year teaching, but I did student teach here last year. I was here for a whole year and I student taught for Mr. Hooper and he’s the British literature teacher. So I did British literature last year. I graduated with my credential in English and got my credential in May. And then I started working in the fall. This is my first real, you know, big girl job, big teaching career job.

2. What’s something you noticed about Los Al?
I actually went here and cheered here, but I did Coach at Wilson for five years. So I’ve been able to kind of compare the two.

So I guess just a difference is that they put an emphasis on being good at one thing, because a lot of schools let you do a lot of different things and a lot of which there’s value in as well, but I think Los Al is so good at a lot of things because the kids are committed to one thing. I also just think they put an emphasis on working hard and I think that’s probably the most unique thing is everyone is driven and there’s a lot of community support and parent support, which makes a huge difference, especially in high school education.

3. Are you looking forward to anything?

I think just getting used to it and just getting my feet in the door. I’m trying to do as much as I can. I’m trying to coach JV cheer. I’m teaching and I’m helping at the skills lab. So I’m just trying to make a wave here. I want to make a name for myself, and just make sure I reach as many kids as I can.

4. Any goals this year or the future of your time teaching at Los Al?

I think just making sure that I get comfortable with the curriculum, because I’ve never taught juniors before. So I think just getting comfortable in my own curriculum delivery, and then just realizing that it’s my first year teaching it. It takes a couple of years for it to become comfortable and stuff, so I think just giving myself grace and giving the kids grace at the same time.

Mr. Michelson (English)

Sure, so this is my seventh year teaching. All years of teaching, I’ve taught juniors and seniors, so I got really lucky to be placed in courses where I’m teaching juniors and seniors this year. I really like teaching the upper grades. I like the challenge and the critical thinking associated with it. And my first few years I taught in Northern California, in a town called Vallejo, it’s north of Oakland. And then my last four years, I’ve taught in Santa Ana, so maybe about an hour away from here.

2. What’s something you noticed about Losal?

I think the thing that’s the most inspiring about being at Losal is the multitalented students. It is such an honor to teach students who have talents that they bring to the school outside of the classroom. And to know students who are capable of things that I would never be capable of and to see the way that they bring that talent and dedication into the classroom as well with their focus and their thoughtfulness. It’s been really joyful.

3. Are you looking forward to anything and any goals this year or the future of your time teaching at Losal?

I’m really looking forward to just being more familiar on the campus and making a home here. It’s always been a joy for me just to be familiar and to be known and know everybody. I’m really looking forward to going to my first football game. Unfortunately, my favorite teams for university is Stanford and they lose a lot lately. And for football for NFL is the Chargers which is incredibly painful. So I’m looking forward to rooting for a good team. And yeah, just seeing more of the talents that students have on campus, going to show choir show. Going to a theater, a musical or a play that gets put on, those are things that really make a high school special and I’ve been told that they’re really wonderful.

4. Any goals this year or the future of your time teaching at Losal?

I know that when I was younger, I had a lot of adults who cared enough about me to push me and who cared enough about me to provide a quality experience on a daily basis. And I think that’s a really unique role for a teacher to care enough about young people to push them and to expect more from them. And so my hope is that students grow and that they look at the end of the year versus the beginning of the year and they see the ways in which that the ways in which has been tough, but tough for a reason. And that they are able to think in new ways and able to accomplish things that they couldn’t accomplish before. It’s a really wonderful feeling and I’ll provide it.

Mrs. Miranda (Science)

I previously taught at the West Covina Unified School District’s,a couple of schools there. I actually moved over to Los Alamitos this year, since my husband got a new job and we move closer to over here. And this is my eighth year of teaching. I’ve also taught in Artesia High School, which is not too far away, that’s in Lakewood. I’ve also taught in Paramount Unified School District, and my first year I taught at a charter school in Watts.

They’re very spirited, and people are very friendly here, from what I’ve seen so far. And the school is huge. This is the biggest school that I’ve worked at. This campus is huge. I still get a little lost sometimes, since I don’t know where everything is yet. Can’t complain about this brand new science building and a brand new classroom, so big. Even though people die a little going up to the third floor, but it’s okay. Better to use stairs then have old terrible buildings.

Looking forward to finding ways to get more involved on campus, I was a co advisor of three different clubs at my old school. So I’m going to see if there are any club advisors needed. And looking forward to getting to know the students and getting to the campus and the other faculty members who have all been pretty nice so far that I’ve met. I’m looking forward to just getting settled in and having a great year.

Yeah, some general goals is making connections with students. That’s one and other goals is getting more involved in campus, like I mentioned before.

The thoughtful insight these three teachers have provided, truly represent the Los Al way. Let’s welcome them to our school with optimism and positivity for a great year of learning.