Categories:

Is this the end of ‘It Ends with Us’?

The recent release of the movie “It Ends with Us” has brought rumors about the cast and criticism to the main star, Blake Lively
New drama with celebrities pop up daily. One of the most recent additions to this is Blake Lively and the movie "It Ends With Us".
New drama with celebrities pop up daily. One of the most recent additions to this is Blake Lively and the movie “It Ends With Us”.
Avel Chuklanov

LOS ALAMITOS, Calif. — Many enthusiasts of Colleen Hoover’s romance novel, “It Ends with Us,” were thrilled at the news of it being turned into a movie. However, fans of the book were disappointed to discover changes made to the film. In January 2023, Blake Lively was announced to be playing the main protagonist, Lily, but lovers of the series were frustrated with this choice. Since the movie premiered on Aug. 9, more issues have continued to surface.

“I think there was more potential out there,” said Mrs. Torres, a Los Alamitos High School counseling intern. “There are more young and recent women in movies. Casting could have been more diverse.” 

The movie deals with sensitive topics such as domestic violence; Justin Baldoni, director of “It Ends With Us” and co-star with Lively, has been sharing resources for domestic violence victims. Lively has also promoted the film by posting photos and participating in interviews. Some people have perceived Lively’s promotion of the movie as disrespectful because of the neglect of the movie’s purpose. Lively’s Instagram was heavily compared to Baldoni’s Instagram because of the difference in posts promoting the film.

“It’s equally both ways,” said sophomore Vivienne Nicholls. “She doesn’t deserve the hate. The movie is about domestic violence but she didn’t go through anything herself. She did say some things about it, but at the same time, it’s also about representation and not the goofiness of the movie she’s trying to represent. It’s more serious.”

Lively and Baldoni haven’t been seen in any recent pictures when promoting their new film. Soon, fans took notice of the co-stars unfollowing each other on different platforms.

“The book is really important for domestic abuse (victims),” said freshman Madison Barragan. “To not promote (domestic abuse) even though it’s in the movie is messed up.”

Recently, a past video of Lively and her co-star being interviewed has resurfaced. The interviewer, Kjersti Flaa, posted the video online titled  “The Blake Lively Interview that made me want to quit my job.” Many were upset with Lively’s responses to the questions.

Flaa referenced Lively’s pregnancy saying “Congrats on your little bump,” in which Lively replied, “Congrats on your little bump.” Many fans felt angered by this comment especially because the interviewer wasn’t pregnant. Many of Lively’s other comments to Flaa were taken as passive-aggressive. 

“I think that Blake Lively’s side comments show her true character and the reason she’s been getting so much hate lately,” said sophomore Riley Mitchell. “Her attitude is negative and unnecessary.”

The actress was also receiving hate from fans before the video came out; Lively’s interview only added to the criticism and rumors. Most of the rumors include Lively and Baldoni being in a feud; however, none have been confirmed by either of the co-stars. 

Some people can see these rumors as being true while others might not. The press has not been easy on Lively because of the recent circumstances. But does she deserve this?

“I think people wanted to get their anger out,” Gatica said. “She didn’t do anything wrong with being cast. Her job is being an actor. No matter who it would have been, people will always have grudges towards others. I think she did everything with honest intentions and got the role from her talent.” 

$150
$1000