News From the Students, For the Students

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

When the clock struck 9 p.m., students gathered as the prom king and queen were announced: Jacob Moreo and Beth Siersma!
The end of an era: Prom 2024
Olivia Cooks, Staff Writer • May 21, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- Los Alamitos High School hosted its 2024 junior and senior prom at the Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center...

Its time for the class of 2024 to enter their adulthood and close the chapter to their high school career.  Seniors are finishing up their end of the year strong with all of their favorite activities and spending time with their friends.
Seniors' thoughts on the end of the school year
Layla Martinez, Staff Writer • May 21, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS CA -- As the school year of 2024 wraps up, seniors are having mixed feelings about whether or not they are looking forward to graduation...

A group of graduates throw their cap in the air, celebrating the completion of an important milestone.
How to be photo-ready for graduation
Nandi Smith, Editor • May 20, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – Graduation for the Los Alamitos High School class of 2024 is fast-approaching. The special event is Tuesday, June 4 at Dignity...

Reviewing the 2024 College and Career Fair

Opportunities for success await optimistic students looking for answers
Ella Suos
At the College and Career Center at Los Alamitos High School, students can find solace in their heaping pile of options for the future.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — On March 21, 2024, Los Alamitos High School hosted a night of speaker sessions and interactive exhibits regarding colleges and careers. Empowering and invocative, representatives in each booth sold their need for optimistic undergraduates. 

“[The College and Career Fair] gave me more insight on how the college process works so that I can get a better idea when applying,” said Sydney Concepcion, a Los Al junior. Ranging from Yale University expectations to West Point recruiting promises, the fair offered much information that students would have never considered. 

“I found the medical seminar interesting because it gave me direction and an idea of what it’s like to work in the field,” said Serena Peterson, a sophomore. “The University of the Pacific advised me to take certain classes…Without their guidance, I would not have known these classes would help [in becoming] a medical student.”

This year’s College and Career Fair also saw more armed forces and local security jobs present than last year. Newly participating careers in the field included the Seal Beach Marine Safety and Civil Air Patrol Fullerton Composite Squadron 56. 

While the medical and business pathways were predominant, the 2024 College and Career Fair advisors were equally intrigued by every student’s interest. Many universities presented GPA and leadership roles as the highest distinction for applications, especially at Claremont McKenna College. One medical booth showcased rubber limbs and skulls. Jessup University gave out authentic stickers crafted by a Jessup student. 

However, many have argued that student motivation as a whole to participate in school activities is rapidly declining. Usually very populous, the fair died down quickly after speaker sessions ended. The College and Career Fair was scheduled to last from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. in the evening, but only about half of its representatives stayed the whole time. 

Despite the dwindling audience, the 2024 College and Career Fair was able to give many students the chance to network, practice interview skills, learn about the vast spectrum of jobs and colleges, and access free seminars and workshops.