News From the Students, For the Students

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

Senior girls wave from the back of their white Jeep parade vehicle, decorated with a custom graduation sign and balloons.
Along for the ride: Grads say goodbye with annual Senior Parade
Ella Suos and Katie ArnoultJune 4, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – On June 1, 2024, Los Al seniors and their families participated in the iconic drive through Rossmoor. The annual event marked...

This summer is the time to sit back and relax with these summer must-watches.
Five movies to relax with this summer!
Jaya Eapen and Jasmine LeeJune 3, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- As summer draws near, it can be hard to get in the vibe of the season; however, these five movies will make the transition...

It’s important to read [during the summer] because it gets you off screens and keeps your mind thinking about turning words into images. It helps with your imagination and depth of thinking, especially when learning concepts, said Henry Miller, a freshman.
Summer escapes: Dive into these summer page-turners
Kalea Davies, Staff Writer • June 3, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- Summer is quickly approaching, Griffins! This means that during summer there will be times when we are bored and looking...

Los Al drama students perform at Lincoln Center this week

Four Los Al students will be taking the stage to perform in the ensemble of the show “The Children of Eden”
Sydney Forsyte
The four Los Al students pose under a tree before heading off to NYC.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — Four students from the Los Alamitos High School – Leo Athy, Eva Parhami, Brooke Singleton, and Ali Valenzuela – left today, Feb. 16, in order to perform at Lincoln Center in New York City. The students will be taking on ensemble roles in the concert version of the play, “The Children of Eden.”

The students were able to get this opportunity during their time at the International Thespian Festival. Los Al’s drama teacher, Ms. Castiglione chose the four of them to represent Los Al and send in auditions to the production company for “The Children of Eden,” Manhattan Concert Productions.  About a month later, they were accepted and received their material to begin work, which they have been rehearsing up until the day of.

Obviously, shifting from high school theater to a real-life production is a very daunting task, and, as a result, some of the students were, understandably, nervous.

“It was definitely very intimidating to do. Big jump from doing high school theater to traveling to New York to be in a star-studded show like this, but I knew if I didn’t try I’d regret it, and it’s safe to say I’m having a blast here,” said senior Ali Valenzuela.

The ability to perform in an actual Broadway performance as a high school student is a rare one that will help prepare the students for a possible career in the arts. Even just being able to witness adult actors in their element will be an exciting venture. 

“What I hope to take away is just being able to be in the room of professionals and observe,”  Valenzuela said.  

During their stay, the students will be able to fit in sightseeing around the many rehearsals they will take part in to prepare for the role. For example, they are seeing two Broadway shows during their stay, “Moulin Rouge” and “Sweeney Todd.” But what many of them are most looking forward to is performing in their own show. 

“I’m really looking forward to performing. The show [‘The] Children of Eden’ is [just so] special because of its beautiful vocals. The harmonies, especially all together with everyone, are incredibly beautiful,” Valenzuela said.

View Comments (1)
$50
$1000