Students were racing to the crowd as they attempted to catch a glimpse of Ryan Seacrest and other KIIS FM staff.
Ryan Seacrest stops by Los Alamitos High School
Reese Neiger and Kalea DaviesApril 26, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — The music blasted in the quad as Los Alamitos High School students danced along during KIIS FM's visit with Ryan Seacrest!...

Students study in the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building, the main branch of the New York public library, located in the heart of Manhattan.
Colleges welcome the class of 2028
Nandi Smith, Staff Writer • April 24, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – After a stressful college application season, the class of 2024 has officially received all of their admissions decisions...

Electric car charging in Birmingham, UK City Centre.
Courtesy of Unsplash
Electric vehicles are taking over the world
Olivia Cooks, Staff Writer • April 23, 2024

Tesla's Model 3 is one of their most popular vehicles and reaches a top speed of 125mph.

The Netflix debate

Is Netflix still the best option for streaming TV shows and movies?
Olivia Cooks
The Netflix debate logo represents a fun movie night with popcorn!

LOS ALAMITOS, CA– Imagine you are sitting on your couch in front of your fireplace on a cozy winter night, the fire crackling as you wrap yourself in your favorite fluffy blanket; you have just changed into your pajamas and want to watch a movie before bed. You turn on the TV and decide on a streaming service – which one do you choose?

Netflix, the most popular streaming service in the world, has been gaining competition from Disney+, Hulu, HBO Max, as well as other services, and many people have been wondering if Netflix is still the best option. Netflix is very prone to criticism, despite boasting 232 million subscribers, mostly because it stands as the most expensive streaming service in the world. There are many pros and cons of Netflix to look at in order to make a decision on whether to keep or purchase Netflix instead of other streaming services.

Pros

• Large selection 
  • Offline playback
  • HD quality
  • Multiple device streaming
  • Skip intro feature

Netflix U.S. has over 6,000 titles to choose from and about 55% of the content is made up of Netflix Originals. Similarly, Netflix Canada and Netflix Australia have around 7,000 titles each. 

Netflix users can download movies and TV show episodes using their built-in downloading feature. This allows subscribers to watch titles offline, which is extremely convenient when on airplanes, long road trips, and camping in eerie spots in the middle of nowhere (which is not recommended unless users want to meet Jason Voorhees). 

Netflix also offers streaming in three different qualities: HD, Full HD, and Ultra HD. The 4K quality is also visually pleasing for streaming movies and TV shows online.

Furthermore, the service allows streaming on up to four devices with one account, which is very convenient for families. There is also a built-in “skip intro” feature that enables users to skip introductory theme songs within TV shows. The feature is helpful for children – as they usually have shorter attention spans – and individuals that do not wish to watch the same introduction to each episode for a given TV show.  

Cons

• Content issues
  • Lack of close captioning
  • Still reliant on licensed content
  • TV show cancellation
  • Region-dependent availability
  • Competition
  • Pricing

Although there are many great advantages of Netflix, there are also a number of issues. Many users have complained about the content that is provided. Netflix has a large amount of titles, but a lot of them are outdated and Netflix does not tend to add blockbuster content until years after it hits theaters. Netflix lacks a lot of content that viewers wish to watch due to licensing agreements and restrictions. To compensate for this, the streaming service strives to make original content, a lot of which has received criticism for being “low quality.”

I feel like the quality of shows has gone down. I prefer HBO Max.”

— Kaia Kanegai, senior

Netflix also tends to cancel original TV shows after only a couple of seasons at most–some users have even unsubscribed due to this issue. Popular TV shows such as “The Society” and “I Am Not Okay With This” have been canceled after a season or two, despite receiving a large audience. 

“[Netflix] used to be good, [but] it got rid of all of the good shows,” Leilani Ngo-Harris, a senior at Los Al, said. 

Furthermore, the available content depends solely on a user’s location. A large number of TV shows and movies are available in some countries, but not in others. This is due to copyright and licensing restrictions that vary by country. For example, popular TV shows such as “Teen Wolf” and “Titans” are available in Jamaica, but not in the United States. 

Competition

Perhaps one of the biggest concerns regarding Netflix is its competition. There have been an increasing number of alternative streaming services that offer certain content that Netflix does not provide. It also makes it increasingly difficult to compete with alternatives as Netflix is the highest-priced streaming service in the world. 

In terms of pricing, a standard Netflix subscription without ads costs $15.49 for two devices. For a premium Netflix subscription without ads, it costs $19.99 for four devices. 

Hulu

Hulu is a streaming service that was launched in 2007 and has since gained millions of subscribers. If individuals are looking for a service with the newest content, Hulu is the best option. There is also a bundle with ESPN+ and Disney+ that is offered for those who would like to enjoy the content from all three services. Hulu, similar to Netflix, prides itself on delivering a decent amount of original content. There are over 2,500 available titles to choose from on the service, and it costs $14.99 with no ads for two devices.

HBO Max

HBO Max is a recent streaming service that was launched in 2020. The service has about 2,600 titles, offering popular TV shows and movies such as “Euphoria,” “Game of Thrones,” “Mortal Kombat,” and “Dune.” Recently, the streaming service was renamed “Max” and has merged all of HBO’s content together, gaining further popularity. The service costs $15.99 for a basic “no ads” plan for two devices.

Disney+

Disney+ is the perfect streaming service for individuals who are a fan of Disney, Pixar, Marvel, or Star Wars. The service is the most affordable out of the Netflix competitors and is the nearest rival with 145 million subscribers. Disney+ is a popular streaming service choice for members of Generation Z, as many Disney Channel shows and movies – which aired during the 2000’s and 2010’s – are available to stream such as “Hannah Montana,” “Kickin’ It,” “Wizards of Waverly Place,” “Jessie,” “Lemonade Mouth,” “Cloud 9,” and others. The service costs $10.99 for a basic “no ads” plan, and users can download on 10 devices and create up to seven profiles. 

Conclusion

Based on a poll that received 15 student responses,  Netflix took the lead with six votes while HBO Max followed closely behind with four votes. Surprisingly, Disney+ only received three votes and Hulu received two.

Given the pros, cons, and responses regarding Netflix, it’s safe to say that some Los Al students believe there are considerably better options to choose from, but Netflix remains the most popular. Netflix is the top streaming service and will most likely remain in that spot for many years to come due to the large selection, easy access, and worldwide availability.

$50
$1000