News From the Students, For the Students

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

Senior girls wave from the back of their white Jeep parade vehicle, decorated with a custom graduation sign and balloons.
Along for the ride: Grads say goodbye with annual Senior Parade
Ella Suos and Katie ArnoultJune 4, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – On June 1, 2024, Los Al seniors and their families participated in the iconic drive through Rossmoor. The annual event marked...

This summer is the time to sit back and relax with these summer must-watches.
Five movies to relax with this summer!
Jaya Eapen and Jasmine LeeJune 3, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- As summer draws near, it can be hard to get in the vibe of the season; however, these five movies will make the transition...

It’s important to read [during the summer] because it gets you off screens and keeps your mind thinking about turning words into images. It helps with your imagination and depth of thinking, especially when learning concepts, said Henry Miller, a freshman.
Summer escapes: Dive into these summer page-turners
Kalea Davies, Staff Writer • June 3, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- Summer is quickly approaching, Griffins! This means that during summer there will be times when we are bored and looking...

Grand opening of the Oasis

New and improved extension of the Wellspace coming soon
Full+view+of+the+Oasis%2C+located+in+front+of+the+WellSpace.+
Cora Miller
Full view of the Oasis, located in front of the WellSpace.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — On Sept. 5, Los Alamitos High School will have the grand opening of the new Oasis. This relaxing outdoor space is an extension of the WellSpace, in room 653. The Oasis is used by many students for homework, meditation, and practicing mindfulness. Its main purpose is to be a safe place for students to escape the pressures of high school. This additional aspect to our school utilizes nature’s calming properties with numerous trees and a soothing water feature.

A plaque in the Oasis commemorates the loss and generosity of the Sethi family. (Cora Miller)

WellSpace counselor Ms. Ledterman is the main monitor of the Oasis. 

“The best thing we can do if we are trying to be mindful or practice mindfulness is to get ourselves outside to get some fresh air,” Ms. Ledterman said. “Having trees and plants are really important; having those designs brings everybody’s stress levels automatically down.”

However, the Oasis isn’t just a place to clear your head, it is also a  remembrance to the Sethi family for their son, a Los Al student, who sadly passed away about 10 years ago. The family donated extensive amounts of money for the Oasis; they also support Los Al students with scholarships every year. A plaque has been placed in the area for students to always remember this benevolent family and their cherished son. 

The idea for the Oasis originated from the Los Alamitos Education Foundation (LAEF) who also contributed to the construction of the WellSpace. Before it was the Oasis, the space acted as an old playground for what used to be Los Alamitos Preschool. 

Since Los Al reopened for a new school year, about 10 students have made use of it per day. So far, students have shown their appreciation by respecting and taking care of this new and improved space.  

Aubrey Keller and Julia Van Vranken enjoying the soothing atmosphere. (Cora Miller)

Sophomores Delilah Baker and Alyssa Zabala sat in the Oasis to enjoy their lunch. 

“I think its a really nice place to sit down and eat lunch and hang out with your friends,” Baker said.

“I think it’s a very relaxing place and it makes my soul happy,” Zabala said.

Next time you need a place to clear your mind, check out the brand new addition to Los Al, the Oasis.

View Comments (1)
$50
$1000