News From the Students, For the Students

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

Los Al football crushed the competition at the first home game of the season

Griffins won 25-6 against La Serna High School
Kylee Reid
Los Al Griffins faced off against the La Serna Lancers on Friday, Aug. 25 at Veterans Stadium.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA– On Friday, Aug. 25, the Los Alamitos High School football team smoked its competition, La Serna High School. Los Al won the first home game of the season 25-6, while the Locos partied and cheered in Veteran’s Stadium. 

The Los Al Locos came looking for a good time, and the varsity football team gave it to them. Within the first 10 seconds of the game, Los Al scored a touchdown and made a kick through the uprights, giving the Griffins a strong lead. The first quarter ended with a score of 13-6. However, for nearly the rest of the game, neither team made another touchdown, although there were a few close calls. The Locos were starting to crave some action.

The Locos eagerly watched the action on the football field during Friday’s game. (Bella Kim)

Toward the end of the fourth quarter, both teams took a time-out while the crowd eagerly waited. Los Al ASB members positioned themselves throughout the stands, poised to release smoke cannons as soon as the Griffins scored again. In the last five minutes of the final quarter, Los Al racked up another touchdown, making it 19-6. With a win seeming inevitable, many Locos started to leave the stands, but  faithful fans remained until the end of the game.

When it seemed it could not get any better, the Griffins bagged in one last touchdown, with the final score a whopping 25-6. 

It was a full house at Veterans’ Stadium, and Griffins packed the stands wearing red, the theme color for the night. A large number of Los Al families and staff also attended the game, giving strength in numbers to the Griffin team. In front of the student section, Los Al’s varsity cheer team performed numerous sets, accompanied by the marching band, to hype up the crowd. Additionally, ASB led classic cheers like “the roller coaster” and the “Party” cheer, holding up big signs with funny phrases such as “If you ain’t lit you can sit” and “Get loud or go sit with ur mom.”

“I like ASB and their energy,” said sophomore Addison Price. “The football game has been so much fun!”

Giovanni Baduqui, a member of marching band, thinks that the musical group did well, considering that this was the first game marching band played at this season.

“I think that marching band completes the high school football game experience,” Baduqi said.

During the halftime show, Los Al Varsity Cheer performed an amazing routine in the middle of the field, and the crowd gasped when cheer members were lifted into the air. After the performance, ASB led two exciting games, pulling student volunteers from the crowd. The first game was a “red carpet strut” competition, and the second was a race on “sit and bounce” balls. Later, ASB led the crowd in singing songs like “Party in the USA” by Miley Cyrus, “Levitating” by Dua Lipa, and “YMCA” by Village People. 

“I’m not an expert on football, but the games are so much fun to go to,” said Josie Stevenson, sophomore. “I love the experience of hanging out with friends, dressing up, and having a great time.”

“It was an amazing game, and it helped me get pumped up for the beginning of my senior year,” said Sam Sutherland, senior. “I loved watching the halftime show and the ASB games. I am looking forward to many more amazing [football] games!”

“I thought [the game] went pretty well. The crowd was hyped, it was a lot of fun, and we came out with a W[in],” said ASB member Trent Massey.

Principal Kraus expressed her pride in the football team and the student section as a whole.

Pullquote Photo

I think our team really showed how strong and resilient we are. It’s not how you start but how you finish.

— Principal Kraus

Los Al’s next football game will be on Friday, Sept. 1 at 7 p.m. on the Los Al campus. Griffins will face off against Timpview, UT High School.