School board members: Mrs. Meg Cutuli

Mrs. Meg Cutuli, a member of the Los Alamitos Unified School District Board of Education, has been an integral part of the association thus far during her 22-year tenure.

Los Alamitos Unified School District YouTube Channel

Mrs. Cutuli has always appreciated the opportunity to divulge her journey in educative administration.

Jason Khan, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — The school district board’s main purpose is to assess the needs and values of the community as well as follow state and federal regulations and avoid bankruptcy by keeping proper track of the school budget.

“As board members, we need to balance ‘what can we do for… (fill in anything you would like to see changed)’ and [ask,] ‘is it legal, is it too costly and does it support students outcomes?’” Mrs. Cutuli said.

Mrs. Cutuli mentioned some of the goals that she currently strives for. These include the building of a second gym at Los Alamitos High School as well as continuing the high school’s one-to-one device program and possibly extending it to eighth-grade students in the district.

Achievements and Struggles

One thing Mrs. Cutuli is proud of is the district board’s effort to help refinance the district’s first Measure G Bond.

the District placed Measure G, a $97-million local bond measure, on the November 2018 ballot, and it was approved by voters,” Los Alamitos Unified School District website said. 

We [saved] our community over 2 million dollars [with the refinance],” Mrs. Cutuli said. She also commends the efforts to bring Well Spaces onto campus to empower students with their mental health. Overall, there has been a significant bid in recent years to modernize campus standards.

Mrs. Cutuli mentioned the struggles of the 2008 recession; fortunately, the district budget was kept “positive,” and there were not any massive layoffs, but it was deemed that the classrooms would be cut away from; this was not beneficial for students or staff.

“We worked closely with our certificated and classified staff with input from our community to make cuts. The accepted [decision] was to make cuts to the classroom,” Mrs. Cutuli said. 

Mrs. Cutuli also recounted the district community’s educational experience during COVID-19.

“The learning curve for students and staff was really steep,” Mrs. Cutuli said. “[This] was while we were living in an isolated and fearful world.”

The Beginning

Mrs. Cutuli started her administrative journey with her kids when she got involved in their respective Parent Teacher Associations. Being on the school board necessitated a large time commitment; as soon as she could “put in the hours,” she gave it a shot, and she got elected to be on the board in 2000.

“[I thought being] on the school board would impact more students and take my passion to the next level… I have always thought that education is the best way to improve the world,” Mrs. Cutuli said.

Perspective from the Board President and District Superintendent

“Meg ALWAYS [maintains]… that we will make decisions that are best for our kids, staff, and community,” said Chris Forehan, newly-elected president of the district board.

According to Mr. Forehan, Mrs. Cutuli exemplifies her prowess as a leader through her consistent commitment and focus.

When Mr. Forehan joined the district board back in 2020, Mrs. Cutuli immediately held a meeting with him to discuss what he had to offer to the board of education.

“I felt accepted and respected after she took the time to get to know me.” Mr. Forehan said.

Mrs. Cutuli supplied much of Chris’s edification about established board procedures and the district’s history.

“Meg remains a gift to our community, our kids[,] and our staff.” Mr. Forehan said.

“She is a true advocate for students and public education, not only in Los Alamitos Unified School District but across the State… She understands her role in setting a big, bold vision for the District, district governance and keeping the District fiscally sound. She is one who weighs all sides, and works with her fellow Board members as a strong governance team… Mrs. Cutuli builds consensus, listens to others, speaks her truth, and demonstrates courage in every action she takes as a Board member… She is warm, loving, patient, and wants to make Los Al USD a place where all students feel welcomed, included and thrive,” said Dr. Andrew Pulver, district superintendent.

Legacy and Advice

Mrs. Cutuli understands that she can not directly control her legacy on the board, but she would like it if people came to utilize her methodology.

I kept an eye on the future while supporting students and staff in the present.” Mrs. Cutuli said. 

She hopes the one thing people understand about her is that her motivations are based on the educational welfare of the children of the district.

Lastly, Mrs. Cutuli left some advice for students at Los Al:

Don’t think of Los Al as your end game. It is your springboard. Never stop learning and thinking about ‘what’s next?’ Treat yourself and others with respect. Be the person you want for a friend.”