School board members: Chris Forehan

Chris Forehan, member of the school board, has been recognized by “Rossmoor Living” magazine.

Courtesy of Chris Forehan

Chris Forehan posing with some of his family for a picture

Michael Warren, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA—Chris Forehan, a member of the school board, has just been featured in “Rossmoor Living” community magazine. Also, as of the day of this publication, he has just been elected the school board President. Griffin Gazette would like to get to know Mr. Forehan (or as he is affectionately known in “Rossmoor Living”, Papa Forehan) and highlight all that he has done for the community. 

His involvement with the Los Alamitos school board started in 2018.

“My wife died of a 30-year battle with breast cancer,” Mr. Forehan shared with Griffin Gazette. “At that point, I had retired and I was volunteering in my grandson’s school, Lee Elementary, and subbing when I could.”

Suddenly, a vacancy opened up on the school board.

“I decided that I would run for school board and I won,” he wrote. “My career had been in public education 40+ years as a teacher, principal, and assistant superintendent,” he said. “I felt I knew what education is about and how important it would be,” Mr. Forehan added. 

Griffin Gazette asked Mr. Forehan what he thinks is the best accomplishment that he has been a part of since he was on the school board.

“Wellness Counselors and Wellness Centers on every campus,” he responded. “I think my personal accomplishment is getting to know all parts of the school district (Schools, Business services, Cafeteria Services, etc.), as well as providing many appreciation notes to teachers, administrators, kids, and parents for making us the BEST WE CAN BE,” he added.  

The most unsavory part of being a school board member is the criticism from passionate members of the community.

“I am able to handle conflict and criticism by knowing that, at the end of the day, my decisions were always made on what’s best for kids,” he assured.  

Members of the community are curious about how long he will stay on the school board. It’s a complicated question for him.

My usual response is that, closer to the end of my 4-year term, I will make sure I have the energy to be at school sites and events each and every day and what unfinished business might I help move forward, or is there someone else who (in my Trustee Area) puts kids first and supports the work that needs to continue? Stay tuned to 2024

— Chris Forehan

Griffin Gazette also asked Mr. Forehan what he wants his legacy to be.

“For being an advocate for kids,” he replied excitedly. “Their [the student’s] wellness and educational needs, being in every classroom and at almost every event, or sending personal notes of appreciation for a job well done.” 

Finally, Griffin Gazette wanted to get some advice from him for current high school students. 

“Never give up, always remain kind and respectful to EVERYONE, always say thank you, and call your grandparents when you can”

The schools and community of Los Alamitos are quite lucky to have such a hard-working, dedicated, and kind person to serve as president. Griffin Gazette thanks him for all that he has done.