Freshman finals survival guide

Helpful steps you can take to ensure finals are as low stress as possible

Jonas Corliss

A freshman student studying their Biology material for their final.

Jonas Corliss, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — The first semester finals are just around the corner, Dec. 21 and 22. During this stressful time, it is important to know how to go through finals. Here are some tips and tricks to help you do well in your finals.

Studying is an obvious part of finals. While most people already study, it is important to know how to get the most out of your study time. One way to do this is to manage your study time properly. This can be done by going over your material in short bursts. An article from apa.org described how spacing your study time allows your brain to better absorb the information, making it easier to remember compared to cramming. This also helps so you don’t become overwhelmed with studying, and it helps prevent you from losing focus or getting bored. This method also allows you to become more familiar with the material instead of just cramming it into your brain. Using this method during the days before finals will make it easier to remember information.

Poster giving tips for how to lower stress for tests (Wellness Center)

It is vital to have the right amount of energy going into your finals. The best way to accomplish this is by making sure you eat a good meal beforehand. It is best to avoid sugary meals to get the most out of the food, so eggs, sausage, bacon, toast, bagels, etc. are great, healthy options to get the right amount of energy to get through your tests. Healthy snack options include granola bars, protein bars, crackers, cheese, and fruit.

“Have[ing] a meal/snack before you enter your test [helps],” said LAHS Wellness Counselor Mrs. Ledterman.

Something that some students have done in the past is bring a few mints to eat during the test if their teacher allows it. This gives you a small energy boost if you are losing steam while taking your final. Something to avoid is drinking a lot of caffeine. Senior student Sophia Youngs told a story about how she drank a lot of caffeine the night before while studying, and her brain was essentially off when it came time for the test.

Sleeping at least eight hours is very important. If you have difficulty falling asleep, there are some things you can do to help like reading, writing, listening to white noise or ambient music, and playing simple games like solitaire. There are also teas that are made to help people fall asleep.

Poster giving tips for how to lower stress for tests. (Wellness Center)

While finals are very important, it is also important to maintain your out-of-school life. If you invest everything into finals, then your stress will increase and you will likely experience burnout. Balancing your studying time with your free time and taking breaks from studying helps you relax your brain and decompress.

“[It’s important to] know your limits,” Adalie Landa, a senior, stated. This will help keep you motivated and focused.

Finals are very stressful, but following these simple tips and tricks is an easy way to make the end of the semester easier. If you need more assistance, check out the brand-new Wellness Center, opening soon, as well as the Link Crew event Cocoa and Cram on the 15th in the lecture hall after school. Good luck Griffins!