Girls’ JV and Varsity Volleyball

Los Alamitos High School Women’s Volleyball found success in their Junior Varsity match and lost their Varsity match against Newport Harbor’s teams Tuesday, Oct. 4.

The Girls Varsity team huddles to discuss strategy for the game.

Jason Khan

The Girls’ Varsity team huddles to discuss strategy for the game.

Jason Khan, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — “This was one of our best teams,” stated Lyanna Garcia, coach for the JV team, “…I was able to put in every single girl…as the season goes along we get better and better.”

For the starting positions, Garcia listed, “My outsides were Lana Barrera and Brynn Minter…middles were Madison Lee and Hope Heller…opposites were Natalie Smith and Dublyn Schuck…setters were Valerie Cardenis and Addison Hermann…libero was Julia Primo.” Garcia believed Smith exhibited prowess during the match. Garcia additionally noted Heller as a stand-out during the match and articulated, “We were…switching up our offense…to get [Newport’s] defense confused…off of a good pass or a good dig.” Garcia suggests, “My team can do a lot better in taking care of our side of the ball and not worrying as much about what the other team is doing…just making sure that…we have our system going.”

Sophie Fackrell, captain of the JV team, believes Barrera and Minter are very reliable and thought the game “started really strong…Our attacking and defense was very good.” Fackrell conveyed, “Being a captain…and being a junior…makes me want to create the best program for the younger girls coming up.” Fackrell wants to serve as a helpful role model.

Members of the Los Al JV Girls team stave off victory from the opposing Newport team. (Jason Khan)

Addison Hermann of the JV team stated, “Our energy was a little low, but we pulled through.” Hermann asserted that the audience was very enthusiastic during the match; Hermann expressed, “We love the people that come out and support us.”

Dave Huber, coach for the Varsity team, felt “a little disappointed we couldn’t get a win, but…they played really hard…we made some good adjustments, made some really good plays.” Huber commented about the team’s performance, “We played pretty well, just a couple of mental errors when the game’s on the line.” Huber declared, “We love having fans here…it helps in a big game to have a nice little atmosphere…we definitely enjoy it when everybody’s out there.”

Los Al’s Girls’ Varsity team delivers a killer serve to Newport Harbor’s opposing team. (Jason Khan)

Huber delineated that at the beginning of the game, “the libero was Kylie [Jenkins], the setter was Ava [Kelly], setter/outside was Kaia [Herweg], middles were Taylor [Hofland] and Anna [Sanzaro], right sides were Elon [Milroy] and Chase [Koepke], the other outside was Ashley [Repetti].” The team includes three sophomores, six juniors, and 10 seniors. Jenkins, senior, serves as the team captain.

Jenkins asserted “We have a different rotation going because our starting setter got hurt, it was a pretty close game, and I think we did well…I’m not mad about it, we’re just getting better every day.” Jenkins mentioned that the lower levels “were really hyped, they did really good cheers, and all the parents were really hyped too.”

Jenkins articulated about her team’s performance, “Noah did really good…stepping in as the back-row outside, Kaia did really good in her new position as setting, [and] Taylor did really good in the middle.” Jenkins remarked, “The other teammates were always so positive and communicating with each other and helping each other out, so they [and my family] really motivate me.”

Los Al’s girls volleyball teams exhibited great sportsmanship; they have many games ahead of them to facilitate growth as team members and as people.