St. Jude Fundraiser

The St. Jude Children’s Hospital fundraiser from Sep. 12-16

LosAl Song and Cheer Instagram

The status of the money raised by Los Al for the St. Jude fundraiser.

Jordan Freeman, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – Los Alamitos High School values raising awareness for various causes and giving students an opportunity to give to the community. This year, the fundraiser has allowed for students to give to fellow teenagers and children. Organized by the Song and Cheer coach, Mrs. Ramirez, Los Al’s Song and Cheer teams have partnered with St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital to support St. Jude families financially. 

“Every year we do something for a group, we try to give back in some way,” Mrs. Ramirez said. “We thought [St. Jude] made the best connection to our school and the program,”

St. Jude’s Hospital is a non-profit mainly funded by individual contributions. Dedicated to furthering and inventing cures and vaccines for children’s cancers and other diseases, St. Jude has already raised the overall childhood cancer rate from 20% to 80% in the United States, and they plan on increasing this rate and bringing it to the entire world. They are dedicated to making sure that every child has access to treatment regardless of race, gender, and financial status.

Los Alamitos High School first collaborated with St. Jude to create a charity more personal and influential for students. Song and Cheer had previously raised money for Breast Cancer awareness. After Mrs. Ramirez toured a St. Jude Hospital in Memphis, TN, she realized that St. Jude was also worth supporting. A Song and Cheer alumni who works for St. Jude was able to help set up the fundraiser, and it was put into motion in 2018. The fundraiser has continued yearly and took place from September 12-16 this year. 

To support the fundraiser, ASB set up spirit days to bring attention to the cause and promote the football game that was coming up. ASB sold wristbands before and during the game and donated the proceeds to the hospital. Overall, ASB managed to raise $2,000 for St. Jude.

The fundraiser was very successful with the donations accumulating to $29,550. Song and Cheer intends to keep supporting St. Jude in future years to give back to the community.