Categories:

LAHS students are drawn to Inktober

As the outside air gets cooler, students head to the Griffin Gallery to participate in this year’s Inktober
A sign advertising Inktober set around campus for student engagement.
Ally Mendez

LOS ALAMITOS, Calif. — Once again, welcoming students to new creative horizons, the Griffin Gallery is bringing a new challenge to Los Alamitos High School’s campus this October. Unlike a gallery-style art exhibition, the Griffin Gallery is hosting Inktober, an event for all students to explore art together through fun prompts given every Thursday and Friday throughout October. 

Students draw and explore artistic ability using spaces provided by the Griffin Gallery.

This event provides a place to draw twice a week during lunch and allows students to share ideas and creativity, all in one fun event. This could become an ice breaker for many students hoping to meet other people who share an interest in art and help those wishing to begin their art journey.

“I think it’s a very relaxing way to spend your lunch (and) meet new faces, and everyone is super chill,” said Betty Tran, an LAHS senior.

This year’s Inktober month-long prompt list displayed at each table.

But what is Inktober? Inktober is an annual art challenge that has quickly gained the love of artists worldwide. Originally started by artist Jake Parker in 2009, Inktober has made its rounds throughout the art community every year with thousands of artists joining the challenge as an annual tradition. 

Each year in October, 31 prompts are enlisted for each day of October, with each prompt giving artists a task of something to draw; the only rule is that you must use permanent equipment such as an ink pen. This is meant to challenge artists to draw every day for a month straight, encouraging creativity and repetition of practice. Their tagline, “Anyone can do Inktober, just pick up a pen and draw,” represents the communal nature of this tradition: Regardless of skill or expertise in art, all are encouraged to join in on this challenge. 

Our Griffin Gallery curators, amongst staff members, have been working hard to put together this activity for the good of the campus community while keeping in mind the space they create and foster. Collaborating on Inktober allows students from all walks of life to express themselves through art in unconventional ways. By engaging them to use prompts they would probably never think of in their own artistic journeys, it pushes them out of their comfort zone in more than one way. Drawing in only ink helps students embrace mistakes within art and to grow an accepting relationship with mistakes. 

Student drawings for prompt themes entitled “exotic” and “nomadic.”

“I think a big part about Inktober is the simple rule: You can’t use a pencil – that idea that you are allowing yourself to make mistakes and having the confidence to share that with other people,” said Mr. Harper, the instructional assistant for the art department.

As students are drawn into the doors of the Griffin Gallery, ideas fly through the space in a storm, whether prompts are straightforward or abstract. On LAHS’s huge campus, with heavily varying experiences from person to person, including an event like Inktober gives creators the chance to display different ideas and emotions through work in prompt-based exercises.

The act of having a prompt also allows students to think outside the box in what they draw. The challenge of thinking of a theme at hand and translating it into a drawing in however way your mind sees fit is a special experience to bring to the tables of students minds.

Student’s various ideas and drawings using the single theme of “boots.”

“I hope that students find a place (to) gather and draw with their friends. When (I did) Inktober, before I love that people can have many different responses to the same prompt, and I (loved) showing that everyone can think through their puzzles differently,” said Mrs. Butler, a Griffin Gallery assistant.

Whether you’re a seasoned artist or have zero experience, anyone can do Inktober, so head over to the Griffin Gallery these oncoming Thursdays and Fridays. Pick up a pen and get drawing; happy inking, Griffins!

$175
$1000