Categories:

LAHS gets ready for Homecoming

Homecoming week is off to a great start with an assembly organized by ASB
This year's first assembly was for the Homecoming dance this Saturday.
This year’s first assembly was for the Homecoming dance this Saturday.
Brooklynn De Shazer

LOS ALAMITOS, Calif. – ASB hosted the Homecoming assembly in the gym to prepare for the Homecoming dance this Saturday. With school spirit, games, performances and more, they got Griffins excited for this year’s Homecoming dance and game, which is themed “Wizard of Oz.”

The assembly started with the band playing as students from all grades walked into the assembly.

The LAHS Advanced Dance team performed at this year’s Homecoming assembly. (Brooklynn De Shazer)

Then the Los Alamitos High School’s SoundFX choir sang the national anthem, impressing the crowd with their amazing high notes and overall sound. 

After the choir sang the national anthem, Advanced Dance came out to perform their routine. The dance team had an all-black outfit with stunning green Converse and hair bows to match their songs. They showed some impressive tricks, leaving the crowd wowed by the hip-hop style.

“The dance number was the best, in my opinion. It had a lot of cool moves and was very flowy,” said a student from LAHS.

When Advanced Dance finished the routine, choir student Arron Myers came out to perform his hip-hop routine. The crowd was left speechless with the technique in the moonwalk and a back flip, just to name a few.

The LAHS varsity cheer and senior football players also did a routine at the Homecoming assembly. (Brooklynn De Shazer)

Every year, there is always a traditional Homecoming activity. This year’s game was a hamburger-eating competition. One person from each grade was selected by ASB to participate. The goal of the game was to try to see how fast a hamburger from Volcano Burger could be devoured. Participants were given a burger and a bottle of water, and senior Jack Burns won the contest.

The moment everyone was waiting for was when the Homecoming queen and king nominees were announced.

For Homecoming queen, Lexi Smith, Emmany Thao, Kylie Allen, Mady Garcia and Maleah Fennessey were nominated. All of the nominees walked down the red carpet with two escorts of their choice and most people choose friends.

The teachers and homecoming nominees played the annual dodgeball game. (Brooklynn De Shazer)

“I am excited to run for Homecoming because it is fun, and I just love dances in general. I saw it and wanted to do it. Also, there are not a lot of goth people who run for Homecoming queen, so I wanted to be the first one,” Fennessey said.

Next, ASB introduced the nominees for Homecoming king. This year there are three nominees: Troj Brejtfus, Joe Burke and Alonzo Esparza. Just like the queens, the king nominees were also escorted by two people down the red carpet. Homecoming court voting will open on Friday through a link on ASB’s Instagram (@losalofficial). 

After the nominees were announced, the traditional teachers versus students dodgeball game began. In the first assembly, the Homecoming nominees won and in the second assembly, the teachers won. In the second assembly, it was a close call between the last standing nominee and teacher, but in the end, the students lost.

To close the assembly, ASB played a video displaying fall sports highlights. The video included football, tennis, girls golf, water polo, girls flag football and more.

This week, ASB also planned Homecoming dress-out day themed to “The Wizard of Oz.” Monday, Sept. 23 was pajama day: “Take cover and cozy up!” Tuesday was “Twisted Tuesday,” for staff and students to dress like each other. “Which witch is which?” Wednesday was a day to match outfits with someone else. Thursday is “Run a twister” to wear workout gear and Friday is “There’s no place like Homecoming,” so make sure to wear red!

If you haven’t already, don’t forget to buy your Homecoming game and dance tickets. Dance tickets this week are $45 with an ASB card and $50 without until the day of the dance. Tickets purchased on the day of the dance are $55 for everyone. Tickets to the Homecoming game at 7 p.m. at Westminster High School this Friday can be purchased on the GoFan website

$175
$1000