Categories:

LAHS’s Griffin Gazette alumni: Where are they now?

What have the LAHS journalism alumni been up to?
Issy Steinberg and Owen Silverman, graduates of Los Alamitos High School's class of '24.
Issy Steinberg and Owen Silverman, graduates of Los Alamitos High School’s class of ’24.
Courtesy of Bella Kim

LOS ALAMITOS, Calif. – It has officially been around three months since Los Alamitos High School’s class of 2024 graduated. Alumni who were part of the LAHS journalism class have begun the next stage of their life: college. 

Meet the alumni

Owen Silverman, former director of Griffin Gazette Live, is a freshman transferring from Cal State Long Beach to the University of Oregon, where he is set to major in English literature.

Issy Steinberg, previously a Griffin Gazette editor, will also begin her freshman year at UO as an undeclared major to explore her interests in journalism and communication.

Johnny Flaim, who played a major role in Griffin Gazette Live and was also a member of Griffin News, currently attends Long Beach City College, where he is pursuing his love for film and television production.

Anticipation for college

Classes at the University of Oregon start Sept. 30. Their journalism program is ranked number one in Oregon, according to College Factual.

“I’m just excited to try everything. My dad says it’s like a buffet where everything is an option. I can try it and be like, ‘Oh, I love this,’” Steinberg said. “You can fill in your own time, and it’s built for you, not just to keep everybody in the same boat. You’re just on your separate way.”

Differences between high school and college

Starting college also creates an opening for freedom and independence, which can be exciting or terrifying.

“You have a lot lighter of a schedule, so I can have a free seven hours of my day to catch up on work, talk to my friends or grab lunch,” Silverman said. 

“High school, you have to go down this one pathway, but in college, you get to choose what classes you want to take,” Steinberg said. 

“(In high school,) you spend on average 30 hours each week in class, proceeding from one class to the next. You spend 12 to 16 hours each week in class, usually with breaks in between (in college),” reported King’s College.

This dramatic increase in free time opens many opportunities for college students to explore their interests and spend more time with friends and family.

Griffin Gazette’s impact

These LAHS graduates also credit journalism for their strengthened public speaking and collaboration skills.

The atmosphere in journalism is very group-centered and pushes students to collaborate with one another and their editors in order to release their best work. This has helped me when it comes to working with groups in my college classes because I have already developed these group participation skills and can collaborate with my peers effectively,” Silverman said.

Last year, Silverman also build Griffin Gazette’s broadcast, Griffin Gazette Live, where he learned the importance of conveying ideas to a group of people concisely and effectively. 

Additionally, journalism teaches students critical workplace etiquette, like how to send courteous and informative emails.

Joining journalism was one of the best decisions I made during high school. Not only did it improve my writing and research skills, it also helped improve me as a person. I met so many great people and made so many amazing memories. I became a stronger and more confident person overall,” Steinberg said. 

Evidently, these alumni now have the necessary skills and experience to lead a successful, rewarding path they are passionate about.

Advice for seniors transitioning to college

Not only did Silverman, Steinberg and Flaim emerge from high school with crucial knowledge and tools under their belt but with valuable advice for prospective college students. 

“Really look at what classes the college offers and what activities they offer on campus because that can almost make or break your college experience,” said Silverman, who is transferring to UO for that very reason.

“Apply oneself. The hard part isn’t over. Work hard, but also let yourself enjoy the college experience,” Flaim said.

These Griffins have conquered high school and are now ready to begin the next chapter of their lives in college. Best of luck to all the alumni!

$175
$1000