Categories:

Where does Los Alamitos High School stand with cell phone policies?

Phone regulations can affect the culture and atmosphere at schools, but how does it affect LAHS?
California legislature recently passed a law for schools to have stricter phone regulation.
Pathum Danthenarayana, Unsplash

LOS ALAMITOS, Calif. — Many Los Alamitos High School students report experiences with anxiety, procrastination and lost time due to their unhealthy relationship with their cell phones. LAHS phone regulations take this into account. Currently, LAHS allows students to use their cell phones outside of the classroom but encourages them to put their phones in a phone caddy, commonly called a phone jail, during class. 

“I don’t like the phone catty,” said sophomore Rory Young. “I only use my phone to control the volume of my music.”

There are many mixed opinions on current phone regulations at LAHS. How effective are they? (Reese Neiger)

A recent law passed by California legislation requires schools to have stricter cell phone policies enforced by July 1, 2026. California schools have and will continue to change their cell phone policies. LAHS has yet to announce plans for future changes. 

“I don’t think they’re distracting because having your phone with you is for the better. You never know if an emergency happens,” said sophomore Marilyn Solis. 

On Aug. 27, Los Alamitos Unified School District had its first board meeting of the school year. During this meeting, the board discussed the current cell phone policies throughout the district.

“I believe (the district’s) current policies and procedures regarding cell phones at school are in place,” said Trustee Area Two board member Mr. Forehan. “As I visit classrooms, I see that teachers provide a pocket for the cell phone to be placed not to be a distraction to instruction. A district-wide review of our procedures will help reinforce what the expectations are.”

The most recent board meeting occurred on Sept. 10, where parents discussed their thoughts on cell phones. The majority of parents were concerned with students’ well-being and health related to the amount of screen time on cell phones. 

“It was suggested in the (last) meeting that the challenges we face around cell phones were primarily a parent issue,” said parent speaker Farnaz Pardasani at the meeting. “I think it’s the contrary. It’s an opportunity for the administration to partner with the parents to help solve this situation and the issue that we’re facing for the wellness and the academic success of our students.”

Parent speakers later shared their opinions on students’ relationships with cell phones. Cell phone usage in schools is minimized by rules enforced in classrooms, but that doesn’t stop students from using their cell phones outside of class.

“What makes me upset about cell phones is when my child comes home and says their teachers let them be on their cell phones during class time. I went to LAHS myself when cell phones weren’t around, and I survived,” said parent Lianne Ocha.

On Sept. 12, LAHS had an assembly with guest speaker Diano Ambrosi to analyze the effects of students’ phone addictions. Guest speaker Ambrosi discussed ways students could use their phones in a healthy capacity.

“I think the phone caddy’s make sense, but I think schools need to focus on teaching kids how to live with their phone in their pocket because they’re not going away,” Ambrosi said.

Cell phones are a tool that can better help your everyday life. Students are a small part of a larger group that uses social media as an entertainment source. This can become distracting when a student is trying to learn.

“I feel that phones can be a distraction, as we all get pulled to our phones when we get notifications, diminishing our focus,” said LAHS math teacher Mrs. Parsons.

The school has phone regulations in the classroom; however, students have the freedom to use their cell phones outside the classroom on campus. Is the access to phones outside of class damaging to students’ education? Opinions vary due to the multitude of benefits cell phones offer. It can be a great tool, but can it be a damaging one as well?

$175
$1000