Categories:

The future is the past: Griffin Gallery’s newest art show

This pioneering, staff-focused art exhibit exposes students to the artistic stories of their teachers
Some of Mrs. Crutchfield's works; the wall mounted painting is made with drips of candle wax.
Some of Mrs. Crutchfield’s works; the wall mounted painting is made with drips of candle wax.
Maleah Fennessey

LOS ALAMITOS, Calif. — Opening its doors again, Griffin Gallery welcomed students during Back To School Night, Aug. 28, and Aug. 29-30 to witness its brand-new exhibit. Unlike the traditional Los Alamitos High School art shows displaying students’ work, Griffins were invited to explore pieces from their own art teachers.

Since undergoing construction, Griffin Gallery has ushered in a new and improved approach to exhibition. A crucial part of this is gallery assistant Mrs. Butler, who served as the curator for Griffin Gallery and was one of the minds behind the new teacher art exhibit.

“It’s super important that the community gets to see that our educators are also artists,” Mrs. Butler said. “I think what (teachers) bring to this school may go unnoticed, not purposefully, but this is a good chance to show off the amazing (art) teachers.”  

Her mission, so far, has been a success, as the draw of finding art from their favorite teachers enticed many students. Art show participants included 3D art teacher Mrs. Ferrel, drawing and painting instructors Mrs. Maher and Mrs. Crutchfield and ceramics teacher Mr. Carthew. The new art show was a chance for students and staff alike to explore the versatility of LAHS’s prolific, multi-media artists, many of whom teach only one of the mediums they enjoy using. For many teachers, their experimental journeys helped curate the artistic focuses they teach their students.

“As an artist, we grow, we start someplace… and then we end up someplace else,” said Mr. Carthew. Alongside his ceramic pieces, one can see his earlier 2D works, such as paintings and pencil drawings.

“When I started as an artist, I was very tight, very controlled,” he said. “I have learned to loosen up a little bit so that my work… could be a little more expressive.”

This inspires him to include not only symmetrical pottery in his class but also free-flowing, expressive pieces that inspire students to have artistic journeys of their own.

At LAHS, part of the art student’s path has always been showcasing their work at Griffin Gallery. 

“We’re always encouraging students… to put themselves out there and communicate through their work,” Mrs. Crutchfield said.

Yet as the newer generation of artists speaks to the world with their work, the emphasis on their mentors’ projects has faded. With this teacher art showcase, there is hope that this attention gap will shrink and that instructors and students will find themselves more united in the art community.

“It’s nice to finally be in (students’) shoes,” Mrs. Crutchfield said. “We have a chance to understand their experiences.”

If talk of making the teacher showcase an annual event becomes reality, the LAHS art department will be exposed to new, exciting experiences that encourage this spirit of empathy. 

$150
$1000