Summer escapes: Dive into these summer page-turners

Must-reads for the summer of ’24
It’s important to read [during the summer] because it gets you off screens and keeps your mind thinking about turning words into images. It helps with your imagination and depth of thinking, especially when learning concepts, said Henry Miller, a freshman.
“It’s important to read [during the summer] because it gets you off screens and keeps your mind thinking about turning words into images. It helps with your imagination and depth of thinking, especially when learning concepts,” said Henry Miller, a freshman.
Kalea Davies

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — Summer is quickly approaching, Griffins! This means that during summer there will be times when we are bored and looking for something to do. What’s better than picking up an interesting book to fill in those gaps in time? Here are five books that everyone should pick up for summer reading!

It’s important to read [during the summer] because it gets you off screens and keeps your mind thinking about turning words into images. It helps with your imagination and depth of thinking, especially when learning concepts.”

— Henry Miller, a freshman

“We Were Liars”: E. Lockhart

With the current weather in Los Alamitos being gloomy and cold, this book will perfectly fit that vibe! “We Were Liars” is a beautifully tragic young adult fiction book that immediately captures the reader’s attention. 

It follows the main character, Cadence, who is a part of a perfect, extremely wealthy family who spends every summer on their private island. Their lives are wrapped in carefully woven lies and secrets that not even Cadence knows due to her head injury during one of the summers at the island. 

The diverse personalities of the characters, the mysterious secrets, and the emotional ending create an irresistible novel perfect for the summer. 

“Heartless”: Marissa Meyer

“Heartless” is a magical book full of questioning destiny, mysterious characters, and madness in the enhancing setting of Wonderland.

The tale pursues a young woman, Catherine, who dreams of opening a baked goods shop and winning the heart of the king’s new joker. Although there are ways to get what she wants, she has trouble escaping her fate to marry the king, which was predetermined by her parents.

Get ready to dive into a bright, whimsical story if you decide to read this novel during summer! 

“The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo”: Taylor Jenkins Reid

Mystery, intrigue, romance, secrets, and much more are to be expected when you read this novel. Not only is the title intriguing but so is the rest of the book! 

“The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo” follows the fascinating life of Evelyn Hugo, a famous old Hollywood actress, who decides to have an unknown magazine reporter compose a biography of her life as a star. As her story unfolds, so do her most well-hidden secrets and lies. 

So sit by the pool, put on some sunscreen, and get ready to dive into the heartrendingly beautiful novel “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.”

“Better Than the Movies”: Lynn Painter

If you’re looking for a light read that you could binge in a few hours, then “Better Than the Movies” is for you! This novel is a light, fluffy romance with traditional tropes that will have you kicking your feet with every interaction between the characters.

The typical boy-next-door, fake dating trope is the surrounding concept of this adorable book. Liz Buxbam and Wes Bennet have been rivals from the start, but when Liz’s old crush moves back to town, Wes is the only way for Liz to catch his attention. Lynn Painter perfectly describes an idyllic relationship between the two main characters whilst still keeping a good pace throughout the book. 

“It was a pretty good book,” says Kayla Phungraksakiat. “I like how normal-paced it was [while] still keeping me on my feet [with] its constant events with the main character and love interest. It was a really smart idea for the author to interact with the reader using playlists, songs, and quotes to help build the imagery and mood.” 

Reading “Better Than the Movies” over the summer offers the perfect blend of relaxation, entertainment, and a great escape, making it a rewarding investment of your time. 

“A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder”: Holly Jackson

The complete opposite of the last recommended book, “A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder” is a tremendous murder mystery that offers complete suspense and a riveting plot. This novel is so well thought out that it makes you wonder if Holly Jackson herself could get away with murder. 

Many years after the closed case, the murder-suicide of Andie Bell in the small town of Fairview, Connecticut, 17-year-old Pippa Fitz-Amobi, decides to discover the real killer for her senior project. As Pip dives deeper and deeper into the questionable murder, she may find herself and the people she loves in danger. Immersed with intricate plot threads and unexpected developments, “A Girl’s Guide to Murder” is the perfect companion for lazy afternoons by the beach.

As you embark on your summer reading journey, I hope that these recommended books will transport you into new worlds and accompany you on countless adventures under the blazing sun. Happy summer, Los Al!

$50
$1000