News From the Students, For the Students

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

Senior girls wave from the back of their white Jeep parade vehicle, decorated with a custom graduation sign and balloons.
Along for the ride: Grads say goodbye with annual Senior Parade
Ella Suos and Katie Arnoult June 4, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – On June 1, 2024, Los Al seniors and their families participated in the iconic drive through Rossmoor. The annual event marked...

This summer is the time to sit back and relax with these summer must-watches.
Five movies to relax with this summer!
Jaya Eapen and Jasmine Lee June 3, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- As summer draws near, it can be hard to get in the vibe of the season; however, these five movies will make the transition...

It’s important to read [during the summer] because it gets you off screens and keeps your mind thinking about turning words into images. It helps with your imagination and depth of thinking, especially when learning concepts, said Henry Miller, a freshman.
Summer escapes: Dive into these summer page-turners
Kalea Davies, Staff Writer • June 3, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- Summer is quickly approaching, Griffins! This means that during summer there will be times when we are bored and looking...

Mr. Barker: America’s next favorite teacher?

Los Al math teacher and improv coach Mr. Barker is currently in third place in the quarter-finals of America’s Favorite Teacher
Los+Alamitos+High+Schools+teacher+Mr.+Barker%2C+who+is+in+the+run+for+Americas+Favorite+Teacher.+
Mr. Barker
Los Alamitos High School’s teacher Mr. Barker, who is in the run for America’s Favorite Teacher.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA —  America holds a contest for teachers to be chosen as America’s favorite. Teachers from all over the country are chosen to participate in this contest. This year, Los Alamitos High School’s own Mr. Barker is in the running for America’s Favorite Teacher. Mr. Barker teaches pre-calculus, finite, and advanced math trig at Los Al.

How do you sign up? 

Each entrant must currently or have previously been employed as an “instructor” in grades K-20. Teachers who have had their license suspended or revoked are no longer eligible to enter in this contest. To enter, teachers must go to the America’s Favorite Teacher website to complete and submit an entry form. The entrants need to provide all the information that is requested by the form and submit at least one photo of themselves. After submitting the entry form, entrants agree that an operator may contact the competitor via email or message.

What is the competition? 

The operator will select the teachers who will participate in this competition, be divided into groups, advance to the public voting, and the voting will progressively reduce the number of competitors. The voting started on March 25, 2024 and progressed as follows:

• Top 20: March 25-April 4
  • Top 15: April 4-11
  • Top 10: April 11-18
  • Top 5: April 18-25
  • Group finals: April 25-May 2
  • Wildcard round: May 3-5 (for competitors who placed second in the group finals to compete in a shortened round for a chance to advance to quarter-finals)
  • Quarter-finals: May 6-16 (The top competitors from the wildcard round and group finals were divided into quarter-final groups.)

“If I make it to number one by Thursday night at 7 p.m., then I advance to semifinals for a week,” Mr. Barker said.

After quarter-finals, the top competitors from each quarter-final group will be split into semifinal groups (May 17-30). Every round, the votes reset, and the public will decide who the finalist will be. The grand prize winner will be announced on June 7.

Although he is currently in third place, if Mr. Barker moves up to number one by tonight, he will be able to make the semifinals. America’s Favorite Teacher’s grand prize will be $25,000, a trip to Hawaii, and a two-page feature story in Reader’s Digest. This competition is a great opportunity for all teachers in America to be recognized and rewarded for their hard work.

“Winning is a long shot, but I appreciate everyone who is voting daily. It has been a lot of fun. There were about 75,000 teachers at the start, and now there are about 175 of us left. Many people have voted and said very positive things to me, so I am humbled by the support I have received and very grateful to everyone,” Mr. Barker said.

Make sure to vote for Mr. Barker before 7 p.m. tonight using this link!

View Comments (1)
$50
$1000