Senior girls wave from the back of their white Jeep parade vehicle, decorated with a custom graduation sign and balloons.
Along for the ride: Grads say goodbye with annual Senior Parade
Ella Suos and Katie Arnoult June 4, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – On June 1, 2024, Los Al seniors and their families participated in the iconic drive through Rossmoor. The annual event marked...

This summer is the time to sit back and relax with these summer must-watches.
Five movies to relax with this summer!
Jaya Eapen and Jasmine Lee June 3, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- As summer draws near, it can be hard to get in the vibe of the season; however, these five movies will make the transition...

It’s important to read [during the summer] because it gets you off screens and keeps your mind thinking about turning words into images. It helps with your imagination and depth of thinking, especially when learning concepts, said Henry Miller, a freshman.
Summer escapes: Dive into these summer page-turners
Kalea Davies, Staff Writer • June 3, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- Summer is quickly approaching, Griffins! This means that during summer there will be times when we are bored and looking...

Los Al’s no dress code: A yes or a no?

Are dress codes beneficial to students’ education, and is Los Al’s lack of one a good thing or a bad thing?
Dress codes are a topic of conversation many past and current students can talk about. How are dress codes helpful for students, and how is it helpful that Los Al doesn’t have one?
Canva

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — Dress codes are known to be a touchy subject in schools. It has been news to many students, including myself, that Los Alamitos High School no longer has a dress code. In the majority of middle schools and high schools, dress codes are typically strictly enforced. Dress codes are present for various reasons, but do these outweigh the reasons why students should wear what they want? Los Al now allows Griffins to wear and dress however they want as long as it isn’t inappropriate. Is this proving to be beneficial for students? 

“Cover your shoulders!” and “Pull down your shirt!” are both phrases my past teachers would say to me. I would listen to their warnings, but I always walked away feeling sad. Was what I was wearing wrong? I never knew spaghetti straps were considered unfitting or ill-suited. I never understood why students couldn’t express themselves under reasonable terms. I never thought that my shoulders would be deemed inappropriate. A lot of our identity as teenagers is fashion. 

“I feel that fashion is a good way to express yourself,” said Riley Mitchell, a freshman. “If there were a dress code, it would just feel ridiculous.”

Los Al allowing students to express themselves through their clothing is great for students. Many high schools don’t fully allow students to wear what they want. Girls in clothing such as tank tops, tube tops, and sweatshirts have walked the halls at Los Al, but in other schools, this could be seen as an issue. Shouldn’t students be able to express themselves as long as an outfit is sensible?

“At my school, they don’t let us wear tank tops, tub tops, short shorts, or open-toed shoes,” said Ariya Malarich, a student at a Long Beach high school. 

Dress codes are different depending on the school; some schools have uniforms for their students. However, not every student finds this helpful.

“When I was in high school, I had to wear uniforms, and I really didn’t like it,” said a Los Al substitute teacher, who asked to remain anonymous. “I think it gives students the freedom of expression. Then they can focus on more academic stuff than a dress code.”

Clothing is a huge part of my life and for many other people. I’m glad that I can wear what I want without worrying about wearing a tank top because my shoulders are showing or my teachers will not like what I wear today. 

It gives students creativity to dress how they feel.”

— Alexandria Kontes, freshman

Students at Los Al can dress however they want and express themselves how they would like. It is beneficial to our students that we have a say in something other people can’t. In this way, Los Al’s lack of a dress code has generally proved to be a positive shift for students.