Japanese exchange students visit Los Al

Exchange students from Keio High School visit Los Al on the first full day of their trip.

Mrs. Tomomi Takeuchi

A group photo of the Japanese exchange students from Keio High School.

Sean Macdonald, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — 18 Japanese exchange students from Yokohama’s Keio Boy’s High School visited Los Alamitos High School. During their day-long stay, the Japanese students shadowed the classes of their American counterparts, exchanging each other’s cultures in the process. This was the only part of their trip where the students visited a high school in the area. But, with the easing of COVID-19 travel restrictions, this is sure to not be the last time Japanese students visit Los Al.

Before the exchange students stepped foot on campus, members from each level of the Los Al Japanese program volunteered to have a student shadow them. The teacher, Mrs. Tomomi Takeuchi, ensured that all of her classes from Japanese I to AP Japanese had the opportunity to participate. Students that do not participate in the Japanese program were not allowed to engage in this activity.

Initially, there was some awkwardness for the students due to ‘Every 15 Minutes’ taking place on campus. The exchange program wanted to visit Los Al on Monday, but was unable to due to a staff development day. With the goriness, mock car accident, and grim reaper lurking around campus, some of the exchange students asked if it was Halloween. However, despite these circumstances, the Japanese students were able to engage in a regular day at an American high school.

The Japanese exchange students shadowed their host’s entire school day, including lunch. Similarly to the German students that visited last semester, the Japanese students delivered presentations about various cultural topics from origami to their country’s unique snacks.

Due to the Japanese exchange students arriving from Tokyo the day before, some were tired due to the time difference. However, despite the 17 hour difference, Japanese students enthusiastically interacted with their host students and their classes.

Some classes piqued the interests of the exchange student because they were relatable or fun.

Chloe Basco, a Los Al senior, said, “My student was interested in my French I class, as he plans on taking French in college.” Additionally, Basco added, “In my ceramics class, we had fun attempting to make a cup.” 

However, some classes were more difficult to relate to than others.

As Los Al junior Kevin Vu said, “AP Lang and APUSH were the most difficult classes [for my student] to relate to. For [AP Lang], it was the fact that we were focusing on the Hamlet packet at the time. And, for U.S. History, the subject covered was rather unfortunate [in its] timing, as we were covering World War II.”

Along with the obvious difference of language, Japanese high schools are also structured differently from American ones. Instead of students going from class to class, teachers in Japan move from classroom to classroom. Also, while there are four years of high school in America, there are only three in Japan.

Some classes offered at Los Al are not offered in Japanese high schools.

Senior Emma Holsombach says, “My student had never taken a psychology class, so it was interesting for him to hear about some of the concepts.”

Aside from Los Al, the Japanese exchange students will visit two universities, the University of California Irvine and the University of California Los Angeles. Many of the students wish to study abroad during their time at a university. These particular exchange students were also members of their school’s basketball team. As a result, several basketball games were scheduled into their itineraries, including games with the Lakers and Clippers. On their final day, the exchange students will visit Disneyland as a special excursion.

Mr. Hiroaki Sakaguchi, the teacher chaperone, mentioned that fewer American high schools are keeping their Japanese language programs. Therefore, Los Alamitos High School fills a unique niche, providing immersion opportunities for many curious exchange students.

Next year, Los Alamitos High School should be on track to provide full homestay programs that were enabled prior to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, despite the reduced schedule, the Japanese and American students were able to immerse themselves in their cultures. Many of the students hope to maintain their relationships through Instagram or WhatsApp. The relationship between Los Al and Japan still burns bright.