Los Al on the other side

House of Blues presents an exclusive event for all Los Al students

Bella Kim

An ASB poster on the third floor of the STEM building promoting Formal.

Bella Kim, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — Wish upon a star and take your friends down the bayou for a fabulous “Night in New Orleans.” Winter Formal is Saturday, Jan. 28 from 7:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. at House of Blues Anaheim. House of Blues is a Southern rock- and blues-themed live music venue that brings New Orleans to Downtown Disney.

This is the first year Los Alamitos High School has used House of Blues as a dance venue. Marlee Gilkenson and Emma Lee, ASB Sophomore Co-Presidents, said the new venue is what will make this formal special. 

In addition to “Night in New Orleans,” House of Blues will be decorated with inspiration from Mardi Gras and “The Princess and the Frog.” ASB chose the theme and color scheme, but people not affiliated with Los Al will decorate for the dance so ASB can show up like everyone else to enjoy themselves. 

We decided the theme for Winter Formal through a class council meeting so the sophomore class [could] have a say in their first formal,” Gilkenson said. They unanimously agreed on “Night in New Orleans.”

“I think that this theme is a welcome departure from some of the other themes of the past; it is less tacky,” a Los Al student said. 

Although the Sophomore Co-Presidents are in charge of this dance, all of ASB is involved with the planning. Ms. Tami Sciacca and Mr. TJ Fenton, the ASB directors, are also guiding Gilkenson and Lee in the right direction.  

“This dance isn’t particularly something you dress to the theme for, but if you’re feeling ‘Night in New Orleans,’ then purple, yellow, gold, and green are go-to Mardi Gras colors,” Gilkenson said. 

The House of Blues dance floor will be lit up with lasers, like past Los Al dances. There will be karaoke, a billiard table, and games like air hockey, shuffleboard, foosball, and ping pong. Drinks and desserts will also be provided, along with caricature artists, props and photo booths, and an airbrush tattoo artist. 

ASB is planning a spirit week to kick off Formal, but the dress-up days have not been released yet. On Monday, Jan. 23 there will be a modified schedule for the Pixar-themed Formal assembly during third period. Students can try to guess the Pixar characters that ASB members are dressed as. Each grade will be themed with a different Pixar movie, and their seating sections in the gym will be marked with a poster of their movie. 

The Winter Formal Court nominees have been posted on ASB’s Instagram. They will be presented at the assembly, and the winners will be announced at the dance. Until then, the nominees can be recognized around campus by their sashes and balloons. 

Students can bring guests to Formal if they fill out the Dance Guest Approval Form on ASB’s website. Ticket prices rise to $110 with an ASB card and $120 without on Monday, Jan. 23. The last day to buy tickets is Friday, Jan. 27. Bring a completed Student Dance Registration Form and your student ID.

Dress in your best sparkles, beads, boas, and feathers, and prepare to dance the night away through the streets of New Orleans!