Club spotlight: Emerging Leaders club

A club that helps create a bright future by teaching our students important lessons

Club+members+during+a+meeting+with+students+of+various+grade+levels+

Emerging Leader's Club Instagram

Club members during a meeting with students of various grade levels

Rommel Salazar, Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA- Los Alamitos High has a plethora of clubs that offer great benefits for the community, as well as the students who serve within them. One of these clubs is the Emerging Leaders Club, an organization that relies on teaching valuable lessons to its members through its range of activities.

What exactly is Emerging Leaders club? 

First, let’s discuss what exactly the Emerging Leaders club is. The organization is exclusive to the school and was created by Ally Hatakeyama with current supervision by teacher Mrs. Tiratira. The primary goal of the club is to shape its members into becoming wise leaders of tomorrow. This especially applies to students who wish to help their communities by becoming effective role models. However, not all of the students have the ability to become leaders on their own, so the club provides the necessary support needed to empower and ultimately bring out the potential each student has. Part of this path of growth includes various activities, as well as motivation to leave their current areas of familiarity.

“[We] Challenge [our students] to step beyond their comfort zones,” said Hatakeyama in regard to how they empower their members. The activities used to help these students leave their comfort zones and bring out their potential include a wide range of community service. These include collaborations with OC Public Health Agency and Global Cultural Education Foundation. Activities with these organizations include anti-drug campaigns, communal education opportunities, and cultural awareness events. Perhaps one of the most effective projects from Emerging Leader’s Club has to be their work with the Youth Center in Los Alamitos.

“In a partnership with the Youth Center, a local nonprofit that has served over 100,000 families, members have led events to raise funds for youth empowerment and provide ongoing leadership support for youth activities [and] tutoring”, said Hatakeyama.

By participating in these communal activities, the members of the Emerging Leader’s Club gain a multitude of special skills that could be important in their future. Crucial abilities such as public speaking, teamwork, and communication between colleagues are taught to the members who are active in the club. Furthermore, a variety of different leadership styles are also taught by industry leaders who often visit the club to give lessons. Although effectiveness is prioritized when forging these new leaders, the staff knows that not every member is capable of growing at an extremely fast pace. Therefore, setting reasonable goals that could be accomplished within a manageable time frame is also taught. These lessons are also given by club staff on bimonthly schedules. Most of all, vital leadership traits such as honesty and transparency are embedded into the club’s lessons. All of these traits are important in creating open-minded but tactful, leaders’ future needs.

“Emerging Leaders is dedicated to providing a variety of accessible, engaging learning experiences for club members”, said founder Hatakeyama.

Lastly, Emerging Leader’s Club does not only benefit the community that it supports, but also the futures of the members who join. Unlike some classes that seem to be streamlined for a boring school curriculum, the club arranges its activities in an engaging manner. That way, growth could be experienced in a personal manner that feels as if it is catering to and helping each member individually. In terms of future benefits, the club improves the  appearance of your college applications and job resumes. By having the club and its activities in your application or resume, your chances of getting into your dream school or job would be greatly increased. Above all, the skills and habits learned from the time at the club are carried by the members into their lives at college or at work life, making their time at school or work easier time due to these newly acquired skills.

Overall, Emerging Leader’s Club is an organization that is a significant part of the school. Not only does it help the neighborhoods that we live in, but also the students who join it. By preparing its students for a successful future, the club forges the members necessary for the community to prosper. If you are a student eager to build a reputation worthy of the future university and job applications, then this is a club that should be on your next semester’s schedule.