Griffin Gazette highlighted in Spotlight Schools article

After visiting the Griffin Gazette, Spotlight Schools founder Jeanette Andruss published an article showcasing the newspaper’s successful relaunch

Alicia Tan

Staff writer Sean Macdonald poses next to Spotlight Schools’ article showcasing the Griffin Gazette

Alicia Tan, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – In early October, Jeanette Andruss, a journalist and founder of Spotlight Schools, visited the Griffin Gazette classroom to mentor staff on researching, interviewing, reporting, and more. Weeks later, Andruss published an article on Spotlight Schools, a hyper-local news site that covers education in Orange County, covering the Griffin Gazette’s successful relaunch.

“Student journalism is back at Los Alamitos High School,” Andruss wrote in her article. “From debates about school dress codes, to student performing arts and athletics, to coverage of the local school board election, to tips on tutoring, student journalists have churned out dozens of stories on topics and issues affecting the campus and surrounding community.”

In the article, titled “School Newspaper gets rebooted at Los Alamitos High School,” Andruss highlighted the history behind Los Al’s school newspaper as well as the work students have done this year to put the program back into motion. She also provided quotes from multiple staff writers as well as Mrs. Franzen, the Griffin Gazette advisor. In addition, Andruss wrote about different ways that people can support the Griffin Gazette, whether it be through financial or social media based means.

The article can be found here.

The Griffin Gazette would like to give a huge thank you to Andruss for her article. Using her advice, the program hopes to continue unbiased coverage of a myriad of local topics.