New assistant principal: David Platt

Mr. Platt discusses his experience, goals, and gratitude for his new position at Los Alamitos High School

Kate Schumacher

Mr. Platt standing in his brand new office, located in the new building.

Kate Schumacher, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA– With Los Alamitos High School’s great beginning of the 2022-2023 school year, staff and students welcome David Platt as the new assistant principal of curriculum and instruction. New to not only LAHS but also the Los Alamitos school district, not many people know much about him yet. He has quickly found himself engaging with the staff and students. When he can, Mr. Platt likes to stop by the band and choir rooms to get a sneak peek of what art is being created.

Although he is new, this is far from the beginning of his educational experience. Mr. Platt worked for over 18 years as a classroom teacher teaching German and Computer Science before working for two years as an assistant principal in San Gabriel Valley. As our assistant principal, Mr. Platts works on creating the school years master schedule, students individual schedules, as well as many other data heavy tasks important for the proper flow of the school year.

Outside of campus, Mr. Platt spends a lot of quality time with his family. Often beach camping, he finds himself pushing his children to catch waves, allowing him to get into the water and enjoy himself.

“I really enjoy the dynamic with the students and the faculty and that there are so many ways for students to get connected that if you want to do something, there is something available for you to do.” Within the past six weeks, Mr. Platt has only had good connections with all students and strongly appreciates the positive environment. He also said everyone is welcoming and the students are passionate about their classes and appreciate the people around them.

Mr. Platt also states how incredible it is that students are able to engage in so many activities that are available. He loves how students have access to advanced-level mathematics, and the vast variety of clubs and classes that other schools may not provide. There is something for everyone, unlike other schools he worked at in the past.

Starting off in a new environment can be tricky, but Mr. Platt has found it easy to get along with the students and staff. He looks forward to getting to know the LAHS community and leading our students in great directions.