Lunch at Los Al, the food we eat

Ryan Park, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – Cafeteria lunch is a staple of public schools in America. Los Alamitos High School is no different. Everyday we provide around 1000 lunches to students and that number is projected to increase. Chef Kevin is at the front of it all and supervises the process front to back. He provides his insight on the school food system and a little bit about himself.

Chef Kevin is no ordinary cafeteria cook. He has attended culinary school and runs his own catering business outside of Los Alamitos. His extensive culinary history and experience in restaurants and hotels is extensive and remarkable. “I’ve been cooking for a long time and I enjoy making people happy,” said Kevin.

The Los Alamitos High School food policy exists to create “an environment that fosters healthy nutrition and quality physical activity.” School food might not be the most flavorful food, but does meet nutritional standards. Chef Kevin is constantly finding a middle ground between essential nutrition and decent taste. “I try to fluff up the food and make it tasty, but it’s really difficult,” Kevin said. The Orange Chicken is an example of meeting both ends of the deal. It is one of the most delicious foods served at Los Al and meets the nutritional requirement with a well-rounded ingredient list.

Food waste at our school is rampant. The main targets are the mandatory fruits and vegetables students must take. A solution is to donate left over food to places like shelters, but that is still a few steps away. The required vegetables or fruits are not going away and a conscious effort should be made by all students to minimize waste.

Lunch is currently free of charge and is an excellent opportunity to be energized for the rest of the school day. There is always plenty of food and Chef Kevin and his crew always plan to provide food to the whole school.