Come walk in support of Best Buddies!

The Best Buddies club will be walking in Long Beach in support of individuals with IDD

Allison McCarthy

People walking in the Best Buddies walk in Los Angeles.

Jordan Freeman, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – Best Buddies International is an organization dedicated to helping those with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD). It is the largest organization of that nature in the world and has branched out to over 1,500 schools ranging from middle school to college.

The organization has eight formal divisions for helping people with disabilities from all angles. The Best Buddies Ambassadors branch, for example, empowers individuals both with and without IDD to be leaders in their communities. They are taught important leadership and communication skills as well as confidence and eloquence. The training aims to help people successfully express and self-advocate for themselves.

In addition to providing help and support to IDD individuals, the Best Buddies program also aims to fight the injustice and discrimination that many people with disabilities face. People with disabilities may experience bullying from coworkers, employers refusing to hire them due to their disability, and a workplace failing to accommodate them. The Best Buddies Jobs division supports people with IDD in securing jobs as well as helping them in unhealthy work environments.

As previously mentioned, the Best Buddies organization has reached many schools in their mission. Los Alamitos High School has its own Best Buddies Club where members are partnered up to nurture lifelong friendships while also teaching valuable social skills. It is especially important for teenagers, both with and without IDD, to garner friendships where they feel supported and accepted.

Buddies spend time together in events held by the club. The club often gathers in Mrs. Mather’s class to spend their lunch playing games and doing crafts. The organization itself also holds events for all Best Buddies programs to raise money and awareness for people with IDD. Coming up recently throughout late April to early May are a series of Friendship Walks, where walkers band together in support of people with IDD. The club will be attending this walk, and it will be their second year of doing so. Donations are encouraged but not required to participate. All money raised goes toward the various Best Buddies programs.

The Los Angeles walk is the closest one to us and will be held in  Long Beach on Sunday, April 23. The course will go through Shoreline Aquatic Park on 200 Aquarium Way Long Beach, CA 90802.

Other walks being held in California will be in the cities of Sacramento on April 23 and San Diego on May 13.

The Friendship Walk is a perfect pastime for anyone looking for something to do this Sunday, but it also serves to spread awareness for people with IDD. It doubles as a fundraiser for the Best Buddies organization which allows them to help the people who need it as much as they can.

“People with IDD are often left without help and assistance once they grow up and go out into the world, so Best Buddies helps them integrate into society,” said Best Buddies Club vice president Rachel Brendle. “Our attendance of the walk helps support all those same ideas Best Buddies has!”

For people looking to make friendships, support those with IDD, and have some fun, join the Best Buddies club on campus. Furthermore, the club is run by seniors graduating this year, so it is important for someone to keep the club and what it represents continuing. If you are especially passionate about this cause, look into becoming this club’s next leader. Reach out to the club’s president, Allison McCarthy, or the vice president, Rachel Brendle, if you are interested.