Chalk murals from Los Al’s digital art class

The mural appeared last week with messages within the artwork

One+of+the+projects+from+the+digital+art+class+on+the+floor+outside+of+the+new+building.+

Isabella Gasper

One of the projects from the digital art class on the floor outside of the new building.

Isabella Gasper, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — Every year, art magically appears somewhere on campus courtesy of the second-semester digital art class.

Mr. Lee teaches this class in room 758; every spring, Lee’s class brainstorms interactive art ideas so that the rest of the school can engage in what they have been working on in the class all year.

“Having public work [is] a good way […] to promote the arts and promote what we do here,” said Mr. Lee.

A rocket designed by digital art on the floor near the new building. (Isabella Gasper)

Last year the project consisted of a multitude of paintings on the hallway walls surrounding the construction of the new STEM building. Before that, there were other ideas such as creating tape murals around campus.

However, this year, the idea was a chalk mural that appeared on Tuesday, April 18, outside the Media Center.

The class began with everyone enrolled in the class designing a mural on computers. All students then voted on which ones were the best ideas and which ones were the ones that promoted ideas that were important or helped enrich and bring beauty to the campus.

The project stretched over two days, with students taking notice of the artwork all throughout the school day. Unfortunately, over the two days, the artwork became messed up due to students walking and the increase in temperature in Southern California.

“Los Al” artwork outside the Media Center made by the digital art class. (<a href=”https://lahsgriffingazette.com/staff_profile/isabella-gasper/”>Isabella Gasper</a>)

“It reminds us that it’s temporary. And that sometimes art can be temporary. It doesn’t have to stay in a gallery and only be there; it can be something fun that exists for a little bit and then gets washed away,” said Mr. Lee.

The students of the class had an enjoyable time creating something to draw on the campus, even with it being temporary.

“It allowed my classmates and I to be very creative and explore different techniques and ideas to find the perfect design,” said Sebastian Taylor, a Los Al junior. “The process could be a bit frustrating at times, but the final product was very worth it.”

Look out for the surprise of what next year’s project may be!