Literary enthusiasts unite at the L.A. Times Festival of Books

The L.A. Times Book Festival was a wonderful two days of books, food, music, and fun!

One of the most popular booths, which represented Annabelles Book Club.

Sydney Forsyte

One of the most popular booths, which represented Annabelle’s Book Club.

Sydney Forsyte, Staff Writer

LOS ANGELES, CA– The 2023 L.A. Times Festival of Books was a roaring success with over 500 authors, poets, artists, celebrities, and musicians participating. Massive crowds arrived on University of Southern California’s campus on April 22 and 23 in order to attend the countless panels, witness musical performances, and visit the booths throughout the campus.

Among the well-known authors and celebrities in attendance were Kristin Hannah, Angie Thomas, Leigh Bardugo, Idina Menzel, Lois Lowry, Meghan Trainor, Matthew Perry, V.E. Schwab, and Katie Porter.

“I saw Matthew Perry speak about his book, ‘Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing’, and I found it amazing how deep the conversation was and how I was able to learn about his struggles with addiction. It was amazing that the book festival let us all be here to experience his story” shared Isabella Gasper, sophomore from Los Al.

The festival’s booths and stages were divided into different sections based on age level and location. These booths were each dedicated to promoting different organizations and businesses from the greater L.A .area, including the Academy of Motion Pictures, Annabelle’s Book Club, the Horror Writers Association and Book Soup.

“One of the many booths I visited was the Jane Austen Society Booth, and it was really interesting to see that people were so passionate about this genre,” said Gasper.

Many independent bookstores and literary societies had booths set up in the fair. Although most booths tended to feature primarily books for purchase, numerous booths featured posters, records, and fun book-related merchandise for purchase as well. Many publishing companies and bookstores also took the opportunity to have their upcoming authors promote their books and sign copies for lucky customers. In particular, Zibby Bookstores had the author of “Burst,” Mary Otis, promote her book by participating in a panel with Kristin Hannah and later joining the Zibby Bookstore booth to discuss her book with interested readers.

“It’s a really great opportunity for Mary Otis to promote her book and get personal with readers. It’s also great exposure for the store to have so many people hear about it,” said Kathleen Harris, executive editor for Zibby Bookstore and Zibby Magazine. 

The outdoor and indoor stages in each area had a variety of programming fit for many different tastes. These included author panels where there were discussions from their writing processes to favorite books. On the poetry stage, audiences were captivated by moving readings by poets. There were even “Ask a Reporter” talks where audiences could hear from the members of the L.A. Times Staff about their ongoing projects and articles. 

“It’s been so exciting meeting so many book lovers and publishers and just to connect with the literary community,” said Harris.

This was a great moment for literary lovers to unite and share their passions, so people with a passion for just about everything involved with reading should definitely consider going next year to join in on the fun!