Los Al choir students “Live it up” at the All District Choral Festival

All choirs in the Los Alamitos School District performed their annual All District Choral Festival.

Kate Schumacher, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — On Monday, March 13, Little Cottonwood Auditorium hosted the yearly All District Choral Festival. This festival included choirs of all levels from Elementary all the way to Los Alamitos High School’s Sound FX.

Elementary School choirs performed songs including “Try Everything” by Shakira. Each middle and high school choir performed different songs depending on their level. Los Alamitos High School Xtreme sang “Ole, Ole, Ole” by Hans Kusters, a soccer chant. All Boys in the District performed “Cup of life” by Ricky Martin and “Live it up” by Nicky Jam ft. Will Smith and Era Istrefi.

“From my experience, even though Xtreme wasn’t properly taught some of the choreo, it was really fun to perform with the whole district,” Jason Khan, a Freshman in Xtreme said. “I got to help a younger kid with choreography, and it felt really fulfilling.”

It was a great opportunity for younger students to see the possibilities for their options in the future by not only watching the older groups perform but singing alongside them allowing the children to see from a different perspective. While each group performed at their level it was a wonderful way to expose everyone to both higher and lower groups. It allows older students to look back on where they used to be and how far they have come in their music careers.

“It was different from last year because last year it was outside at Los Al and this way it was easier to perform because of the stage,” Violet Moran, an eighth grader at Oak Middle School in Showcase and Showstoppers.

Oak’s choir “Showcase” performed “The other son of Odin” by Brothers of Metal and Mcaullife’s choir “Soundcheck” sang “Sweet Caroline” by Neil diamond.  Both choirs are zero-period advanced choirs available for 7th and 8th graders. High school and Advanced middle school songs were a part of their competition sets similar to the Highschool Spotlight Show.

While the Choral Festival was an amazing way to allow all choirs in the district to perform their competition sets for their families and the community, it was also a great way for all the choirs to connect and explore the world of music.