Los Al juniors and seniors experience alcohol-related driving incident first hand

After a break in the program, the Every 15 Minutes event returns, leaving juniors and seniors to ponder their feeling towards the event

Bella Kim

A memorial for senior Kenna Dougherty that was placed on her desk after she “died.”

Alicia Tan, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – Although it has been a biennial tradition at Los Alamitos High School since 1999, the COVID-19 shutdown caused the Every 15 Minutes program to be canceled during the 2020-2021 school year, the year that Los Al’s current seniors would have experienced the event for the very first time. Because of this, none of Los Al’s current students have ever experienced the Every 15 Minutes program until this week on March 2 and March 3, 2023. For more information on what the Every 15 Minutes program is, check out the Griffin Gazette’s in-depth coverage of the program in the articles “Every 15 Minutes: An important conversation about drunk driving” and “Every 15 Minutes returns to Los Al.”

Although the event has been significant for the entire student body, the two assemblies held were split between freshmen and sophomores at one assembly and juniors and seniors at another assembly. 

The car crash

Students walk by the staged car wreck during passing period and before the main event. (Jonas Corliss)

On March 2 at lunch, a car wreck was staged in front of the Media Center. One student was extracted from the car, stumbling around visibly intoxicated. Another student was placed on a stretcher and rushed to the hospital. Two other students were pronounced dead on the scene and taken away by coroners.

Since all four students involved in the crash scene were seniors, Los Al’s 12th graders were the most connected to the situation. However, many students feel that the first day of the program did not accomplish its goal. Several students claimed that the whole event felt too unrealistic to make a deeper impact on their lives.

“I understand the intention behind it, but they missed the mark on many of the serious aspects,” senior Macy Buchta said. “Especially having the Grim Reaper walk around school, it just takes away from the seriousness of it.”

However, many students did agree that seeing students they knew being placed in body bags and taken away was a chilling experience. Several students stayed to watch the entire crash scene and some took out their cameras to take pictures and post them on social media.

The losses

A heartfelt obituary for the “deceased” student Harmony Householder written by her family. (Isabella Gasper)

Although the major events of the program were the car crash and the funeral, students had more personal interactions with the program through the deaths that occurred on campus throughout the day. On both Thursday and Friday, students were pulled out of class every 15 minutes as an announcement on the PA declared them as dead. The students didn’t really die, but they were taken away for two full days without contact with their friends, meaning students who “lived” were left to deal with the emotions of potentially losing someone they knew. Every student who passed away was either a junior or a senior, making the program more personal for the older grades.

The program hit home for students who have already felt the impact of intoxicated driving, whether it be through personal experience or someone they know.

I signed up for the program cause my uncle was in a car crash with a drunk driver.

— Elizabeth Bon, 'deceased' student

The funeral

On Friday, March 3, junior and senior students attended a 40 minute mock funeral. Although many didn’t feel emotionally invested in the fake car crash, the funeral hit its mark. After watching a 15 minute long segment created by Griffin News, students listened to Marilyn Ellis, a mother who lost her daughter in a car crash, speak about the dangers of driving under the influence and the impact it can have.

A mock funeral held in the gym on Friday brought parents and students to tears (Alicia Tan)

Students were already teary-eyed after Ellis’ speech, but the next few speakers truly brought emotion. Amelia Bean, a senior who participated as one of the “deceased” students, recited a letter she had written to her father as though she had truly passed away. Next, Cassidy Meehan spoke to her sister Lindsay Meehan as though she was dead. Meehan cried as she mournfully talked about all the things she would miss about her sister, eliciting tears from the entire audience. Finally, Johnny Flaim, a “deceased” student, read a chilling poem addressed to his mom, describing a fake scenario in which he was killed by a drunk driver.

Parents and students alike couldn’t get through the speeches without crying. Afterwards, several students hugged their friends, whether it be their “deceased” friends who had now come back to life or friends who hadn’t even participated in the program. Parents reunited with their children after a day of not seeing them.

“Knowing Johnny was gone all day yesterday, it was really powerful to see him recount his meaningful words about death,” senior Adalie Landa said. “Not being in his presence for just one day was very odd, and it felt like something was missing.”

Conclusion

Although the program received mixed reactions, most students agreed that the funeral tied together the event. Juniors and seniors, the majority of the driving-age population at Los Al, were given the opportunity to see the effects of driving under the influence firsthand. For more information about the Every 15 Minutes program, click here. For more information about driving under the influence, click here.