Varsity soccer wins CIF Semifinals

Boys and Girls Soccer ends their 2022-2023 season after competeing in the CIF semifinals and Girls Championship

Kate Schumacher, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA– After a fantastic season, both boys and girls Varsity Soccer headed to CIF Doubleheader on Tuesday, February 28 against the boy’s varsity team in Palisades High School and the girl’s varsity team in Cathedral Catholic High School.

With a close score of 1-0, Boys Varsity lost, concluding their 2022-2023 season. Girls Varsity won 4-1 and will play against Westview High School in the Regional on Thursday, March 2nd. If these hard-working players won against the Westview team they climbed the bracket and competed in the championship on Saturday, March 4.

California Interscholastic Federation also known as CIF is a governing body for high school sports in California. Unlike other states, California holds 10 state-wide championships with both Private and Public High Schools. Los Alamitos high school students participate in Sunset Surf League, an athletic conference located in Orange County, California. Both boys are girls soccer currently holds the #1 title in the Sunset surf rink.

“This is the first time in 22 years that [Los Alamitos High School] has made it to the final in CIF and state regionals,” said Demitrious Tanks, senior and captain of boys varsity soccer.

Los Al Girls soccer season ended on Saturday, March 4 losing against Santa Margarita after a 0-0 score caused overtime and penalty kicks. Penalty kicks were 1-3 and Los Al finished as a finalist. Los Al Girls has made it too far in CIF in the many years prior and even made it to the semi-finals last year.

“CIF this year for girls soccer was incredible. We dealt with adversity including rain, lightning, penalty kicks, and away games but we continued to embrace the challenges and succeed. It was an amazing season for girls soccer and I can’t wait to see us continue to improve,” said the girls varsity captain, sophomore Viviana Zacarias.

For both girls and boys soccer, the 2022-2023 season was full of wins. Girls soccer won 20 games, tied eight, and lost five. Alongside them, Boys soccer won 17 games, tied eight, and lost three. Los Alamitos High School has won a few times in the past and it is incredibly exciting watching the players’ commitment pay off. Soccer celebrated a great season and anticipation for the years to come.