California Scholarship Federation: starting second semester

CSF second semester applications are open; Freshman are now able to apply.

CSF applications are open for second semester at Los Alamitos High School.

Robynn Pennala

Michael Warren, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — The California Scholarship Federation (CSF) is a state-wide honor society that is community-service based and strives to recognize academic excellence and achievement at the middle school and high school level.

Los Alamitos High School is one of thousands of schools in California that has an established and active CSF organization. CSF meets once every month in the Lecture Hall, and it is supervised by Mrs. Pennala. 

“CSF is an academic organization that has been around for 100 years,” Mrs. Pennala said. “For many students, joining CSF is important as it recognizes their scholastic achievements in high school as well as the ability to partake in the many service-oriented activities we sponsor as well.” 

CSF members regularly plan drives that collect school supplies, canned food, and clothes. CSF members also tutor younger students in math and science and volunteer at local community events. 

For colleges, it shows schools that you’re engaged in your community, passionate about helping others and excelling academically,” said CSF on their website. “But even without the bonus of helping beef up your resume, CSF is still fantastic as it provides you with an opportunity to meet new people and get in touch with the world around you by providing service to those in need.” 

CSF members are also eligible for special recognition at graduation. The Gold Sealbearer Status is for students who have been CSF members for four semesters of high school (one must be in their senior year). A gold seal will be attached to their high school diploma. CSF members who are Gold Sealbearers and have 30 cumulative points (information on how points are earned can be found on the CSF website) are given a CSF Graduation Cord.

Members must apply every semester—including returning members. Acceptance is entirely based on grades from the previous semester. 

Because it is primarily grade-focused, students will need to earn a minimum number of points based on their grades each semester,” Mrs. Pennala said. “Unlike other clubs, members need to apply before our deadlines as well as be academically eligible.”

Since incoming freshmen do not have Los Al’s grades, they cannot be members for the first semester; however, they can apply now for second semester. Applications are done through a Google form through the CSF website. Applications are due on Jan. 25.

CSF looks forward to all of the incoming members as well as all the fantastic opportunities that will arise in second semester.