Holiday card-making in the media center

The media center is offering card-making services for the Christmas season.

Jordan Freeman

A student making a Christmas card in the media center.

Jordan Freeman, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — Anyone can buy X-mas cards, but a personalized, handmade card is both a fun experience and a heartfelt gift. The media center is providing art supplies to create festive cards perfect for accompanying gifts. The idea is that students can color and cut out custom Christmas cards for friends and family.

The supplies include colorful paper cards, envelopes, glue-sticks, snowflake paper-punchers, and Sharpie markers. Pre-cut snowflakes are also provided to quickly glue and go. The event was created by media center supervisor Eileen Jewell.  She intended to attract students into the center with a fun activity. 

“It’s a program to invite people in and have fun” Mrs. Jewell, media center staff member, said. 

The card-making workshop started this year and may continue into later years, but Jewell is eagerly accepting any ideas for media center activities. She tries to have an activity every month. In January, she plans on hosting a paper snowflake activity. The card making has only been officially held twice, with the next occasion being on Dec. 21. However, students can ask before and after school, at lunch, and during nutrition for the supplies anytime during the month. It’s a pastime good for crafting alone or inviting friends for a social experience.

For a cute, formal gift a “Happy Holidays” with white paper glued into a larger red paper would be a simple nice way to show appreciation. Snowflakes of multiple colors glued onto a white paper is great for your color-loving friends. Snowflakes can be cut directly into the card for a clever message seen through the holes of the card. There’s a lot of creative ways to go with this, and you can ask for pre-made cards for ideas. Artists can bring their own materials to make a beautiful present, and people not as artistic can still create works of art.