Griffin Gazette’s ultimate guide to holiday gift giving

The Griffin Gazette is here to help you this Christmas season!

Aleina Tuufuli and Kate Schumacher

LOS ALAMITOS, CA– It’s that time of year that every publication offers a very serious guide to holiday gifts. Here is a very tongue-in-cheek take on this holiday classic! 

Your best friend

As much as you being their best friend is better than any gift, a small present is a perfect way to show your love for them. Gift giving can be as simple as their favorite candy, a candle with their favorite scent, or a gift card. Step things up a bit by adding some personality to your presents. Do your best friends have a celebrity crush? For a reasonable cost of around $25 Amazon has life-size cutouts of nearly any celebrity, for $70 you can even upload a photo of yourself because what more could they ask for than a life-sized photo of you staring them down. 

The person who thinks they’re your best friend

Let’s face it, not all friendships are two-sided. You know that one friend who thinks more of your “friendship” than you expected and you end up finding yourself scrambling to find a gift for them. While it’s easiest to just buy a gift card, it only takes a few simple items to get the true message across. Candles are cheap and hold little meaning, just like your friendship. Add some personality with some pictures of you both so they can burn the memories away when they learn your true feelings. Hoping for a cheaper solution? Why not kill two birds with one stone and buy them candy that will last as long as you tolerate them; it’s the perfect way to show just how much you care. Or even better-  no gift at all

Your significant other that you haven’t been dating for very long

Along with the holiday cheer comes new relationships. But what do you get for your partner if you’ve only been together for a week? You want to show how much you like them but don’t know them very well. You don’t want to be cheesy but feel the need to get them at least something small. To make things easy, buy them a sweet card, nothing too serious, and keep things friendly since, after all, you barely know your true self. If you wish to use a little more energy, make them cookies! Most recipes only take under 20 minutes total and are delicious! Take things up a notch by baking their favorite type of cookie. This easy and tasty gift is bound to put a smile on their face. Feeling something more personal? Take them out somewhere to get to know them better and create a memorable moment they’ll never forget. 

New Teacher(s)

A new teacher is always an interesting sight to see as you return to school. How could you welcome them onto this SCARY and FOREBODING campus. Well… all teacher’s LOVE them!!! A TEACHER MUG!

Specifically the ones that say #1 Teacher with an ugly font and isn’t microwave or dishwasher safe… it’s the perfect gift! How else would you surprise a newly graduated 1st year teacher with a gift that they’re going to receive MULTIPLE times EVERY year!!!

Your friend with senioritis

Have a senior friend who’s getting ready for college? Consider gifting them some dorm room essentials this holiday season to lighten their load next school year. A ramen cooker for quick and easy dorm dinners would be great! Have a senior friend who has an Apple Ecosystem? Get them a power strip so they’re Apple Ecosystem can thrive during all their late night study sessions. They are guaranteed to love all the extra outlets a power strip provides. Want to get them a gift that’s more beneficial to them now? Consider giving them a bus pass so they can get around or flee before finals.

Your over-eager freshman friend

With finals right around the corner, many freshman’s find themselves stressed and worried about studying for each class. Many find themselves all over the place and lost. A cute and well organized planner is perfect for managing everything. Things feel easier with a list of how to handle everything and what is needed to be successful. No need to be overwhelmed or worry about forgetting something when everything is written down. In some cases even short easy study sessions can feel challenging, what better way to calm them down then a weighted stuffed animal. These cute plushies are small and easy to keep in their lap and the perfect way to lower stress levels and allow them to ease their way through the end of the semester.

PSA: This article is not to be taken seriously or be offensive and is simply for some cheer this holiday season. Los Alamitos High School Griffin Gazette wishes everyone happy holidays and hopes that you make sure to show appreciation to those you love. You are welcome to use these gifts with good intentions but make sure to be kind about it. Happy holidays!