Wrapping up the year with Spotify

Spotify Wrapped and Apple Replay come in with the 2022 edition

Jonas Corliss via Apple Music

Official graphic from Apple Music for this years Apple Replay

Jonas Corliss, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — At the end of every year, Spotify sends out a music recap called Spotify Wrapped. In this yearly send-off, Spotify talks about all of the music that you listened to in the past year, from Jan. 1 to Nov. 27. The topics include how many minutes of music you clocked in and your top songs, albums, playlists, artists, and more, along with fun commentary.

Every year Spotify also uses different artistic themes and special sections for Wrapped. This year Spotify included a section about what kinds of music you listened to in the morning compared to other times of the day. They also made a category that created a music-listening personality based on your numbers.

Apple is also allowing its users to get in on the fun; this year, Apple Music introduced its own form of Wrapped called Apple Replay. This version is a straightforward list of what you listened to over the year.

Part of an anonymous student’s Spotify Wrapped that was given to be part of the article (Jonas Corliss)

On social media, sharing Spotify Wrapped is an annual event that people anticipate with both joy and resentment. On the one hand, sharing music is something that everyone loves to do. On the other hand, some get annoyed with everyone sharing about something that they don’t care about. Additionally, sometimes people feel afraid of others judging their music taste. It’s customary for people to talk about how they need to “fix” their Wrapped a month before the deadline to make it seem like they have a unique taste in music.

Coming down to the music, there were many major albums common in people’s Wraps this year. Drake’s last two albums “Honestly, Nevermind” and “Her Loss” were common, as well as Frank Ocean’s “Blond,” which is always a major part of Wrapped. Other inclusions were Taylor Swift’s “Midnights,” Kendrick Lamar’s “Mr. Morale & the Big Steppers,” Steve Lacy’s “Gemini Rights,” and Beyonce’s “RENAISSANCE.”

Music is a beautiful thing. It unites people all over the world. Spotify Wrapped and Apple Replay allow people to talk about all the music they listen to and enjoy the tunes with others online. Be sure to check out your Wrapped or Replay since they will be available for a limited time.