Spotlight: Girls’ Golf

Recognizing Los Al’s female golfers on the same level that male golfers are acknowledged.

via losalgolf Instagram

The Los Al varsity girls’ golf team at day one of CIF.

Alicia Tan, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — “Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden.” This is the acronym that people often associate with golf’s humble beginnings. Although this title’s origin was proven to be a myth, several people still regard golf as a male sport. Prior to 2021, the U.S. Open still tolerated all-male golf country clubs.

There have been multiple instances of professional female golfers being ridiculed by their male competitors. Michelle Wie West, a Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA) golfer, was shamed by former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani for the clothes she wore during a charity event.

“What should be discussed is the elite skill level that women play at,” Wie West responded to Giuliani in a statement. “Not what we wear or look like.”

Wie West is just one example of female golfers being undermined in the golf world. However, this hasn’t stopped younger generations from honing their skills and working their way into the professional world. High school girls’ golf has seen a huge spike in participation over the last decade. A 2018 study by NCAA Research (National Collegiate Athletic Association) showed that there has been a 10.8% increase since 2012.

Although played as an individual sport on a more professional level, high school golf is played as a team sport. Typical matches have six to eight players on each team. Each team member plays their own round with their own score, but at the end of the match, the top five scores on each team are summed and compared. The lowest total score wins. 

Los Alamitos High School Girls’ Golf

Thursday, Nov. 3 marked the end of the Los Al girls’ golf team’s 2022 season. Consisting of frosh/soph, JV, and varsity teams, Los Al’s girls’ golf team had an eventful couple months of play. 

The varsity team went 17-1 for their 18 matches; this was the best performance of the girls’ golf team since 2006 when the team went undefeated for all 18 matches. Led by Coach John Haygood, the varsity team saw a successful day one of CIF; freshman Ashley Han qualified for CIF individuals and the entire team placed sixth, advancing them to day two. Day two of CIF ended in another sixth place for the team, ending the Los Al girls’ golf season. Still, the varsity girls worked hard the entire season to claim their place as league champions for the 2022 Girl’s Golf Surf League, the fifth consecutive year that they’ve won this title.

The JV team also saw success, going 16-1 for their 17 completed matches. Unfortunately, their last match was cut short due to weather concerns. The JV girls had new leadership this season with first year coach Zach Iwashita, who put them through strict practices that included upper body strength workouts. Despite their success, though, some girls felt the weight of this season.

“The people were great,” an anonymous JV player shared. “I love being around all the girls and making friendships, but actually being in season and the pressure of that, I didn’t do very well.”

Although the frosh girls didn’t have as exciting of a season in terms of scoring, they still enjoyed their time together.

“It was very fun… very exciting,” an anonymous team member who played on both frosh and JV this year said. “It was very new for me.”

The Team

Golf can be a stressful sport. Many girls on the team agree that the best part of being on the team isn’t the actual play; it’s the people.

“Even though my score didn’t count, it was still super fun playing with my friends,” Rachel Brendle, a senior varsity player, said. “I’ll miss my super amazing and friendly teammates that I love so much.”

JV and frosh players felt the same way, sharing that the support they received from their teammates is what made the sport so enjoyable.

“The best part of being on the golf team is the people,” the anonymous JV player said. “I love all the girls on the team.”

Los Al’s JV golf girls posing for a photo together at the annual golf photo day. (Cassidy Nyugen)

Coach Haygood shared that he, too, enjoys meeting new players year by year and watching them develop as both players and people.

Golf is one thing…but I thoroughly enjoy the students and the personalities, and I really like to see how people grow over their four years.

— Coach Haygood

Conclusion

Despite what some may think, golf is a universal sport. Many female players have been playing since childhood, such as Wie West who started at the age of four and went on to win five major LPGA tour competitions

Female golf is usually not given the same coverage as the typical male tour, but girls of all ages continue to play proudly and work to become the very best, the Los Al girls’ golf team serving as an example. As the Los Al Griffin girl golfers round out an amazing season, it’s important to recognize them on the same level that male golfers have been acknowledged for decades.