Top eight team: girls waterpolo

Los Alamitos High School Girls Waterpolo anticipates a great season.

The+2022-2023+Varsity+Girls+Water+Polo+Team+for+the+school+year.+

Los Alamitos Water Polo

The 2022-2023 Varsity Girls Water Polo Team for the school year.

Kate Schumacher, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA– After spending months practicing, the Los Alamitos High School Girls Waterpolo is starting off its season in anticipation of many successful games as well as learning curves. These outstanding athletes are preparing for a great season and have set valuable goals for this season.

I am looking for new learning experiences since I’ve never had a high school season, and I’m looking forward to making strong bonds with the team,” Junior Varsity player Kalynn Kayale said. With every season comes growth and teamwork, benefiting and strengthening the team. Both teams work hard every day in anticipation of an amazing season. 

There are usually between 10-12 girls on Varsity and practices every day except game days with a total of about four hours a day.

“There is no doubt that teamwork is what is going to give us a successful season,” Joey Niz, a varsity player, said. This winter, Niz celebrates her last season on Varsity before playing for the University of California, Los Angeles in the fall. Joey feels very confident in her team and has no doubt that their hard work, commitment, and connection will best lead their team to a successful season.

“We have been putting in a lot of effort at practice and our coach puts in so much effort to help us achieve our goals,” Varsity Sophmore Isabella Perez said. She also hopes to win the California Interscholastic Federation tournament later on in the season. 

Unfortunately, the Girls’ Varsity lost against Orange Lutheran High School in their first match 6-12 on Nov. 29, 2022, but they are using it as a learning curve and expect future successful games.

Although these outstanding girls are only at the beginning of the season, there is no doubt that with their teamwork and perseverance they will have great success in the rest of the season.