Upcoming winter sports

Information on a few of the winter sports

https://losalgirlsbasketball.weebly.com/

A photo of the entire girls basketball team from the girls basketball website.

Jordan Freeman, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – As the fall season approaches its end and winter comes up, the same applies to fall and winter sports. All fall sports, with the exception of football, have already ended, giving to the various winter sports. Both teams and coaches eagerly await this upcoming sports season with star players planning to lead and new players planning to improve. Basketball, girls soccer, and wrestling are having seasons to look forward to.

For both boys and girls basketball, teams hold hope and confidence for what this season holds. With tryouts that took place last August and games starting in the next few months, the teams are composed of hard-working, enthusiastic players.

“We are young, and we have a lot of talent across the board,” Coach Maya Kennedy of the varsity girls basketball team said. “If we can work together and out-smart our opponents, we are going to be a fun group to watch.”

Last year, the girls basketball was very accomplished; the team was 16-8, with three of these losses in double overtime. With only four returners this year, a new batch of eager players has a chance to showcase their skills. With their next game on Nov. 15 at 6 p.m. against Patriot High school at Portola High School, star varsity players Kayli Liew, Kassidy Beach, Emie Fell, and Megan Lee, all juniors, will command the court with leadership and talent.

Boys basketball will have their first game on Nov. 14 at Ocean View High School against the team of La Habra High School. Last season was very successful with the team going 20-8 and finishing second in the league as well as being the Tustin Tournament Champions. Sophomores Liam Gray, Trent Minter, and Wes Trevino as well as seniors Mikai Guerrero, Rob Voight, and Rex Komatz are star players expected to skillfully play their way through the season.

With 12 seniors on their varsity team, the girls soccer team is packed with experience. Seniors Sanaa Guyness and Kaylee Noble especially combine talent and experience. On Nov. 28, the team will be playing a home game against Millikan High School with Varsity playing at 6 p.m., junior varsity at 4:30 p.m., and 3 p.m. for Fresh/Soph.

Despite the 13 senior wrestlers that graduated last year, the wrestling team is still looking bright this year. Senior Gabe Lorenzo, junior Dylann Ruiz, and sophomores Sam Yokoyama and Jake Moreo are expected to impress this year. On Nov. 19, Varsity will have its first game at West Torrance. Junior Varsity is at Esperanza on Nov. 28, and Fresh/Soph will be at El Rancho on Nov. 22.

“I’m looking forward to seeing our young team rise to the occasion,” said wrestling coach Mark Ruiz.