Freshman retreat: How did it go?

After two years of absense, the LAHS GWAM freshman retreat is back and better than ever before!

GWAM Instagram

Group photo of freshmen and their leaders during GWAM freshmen retreat

Kate Schumacher, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA– Getting to know each other through exciting activities, freshman students at Los Alamitos High School learn about empathy. Students were split up into groups of about 25 students along with two or three upperclassmen from LAHS student organization Griffins With A Mission (GWAM).

During the GWAMs freshman retreat, students participated in lighthearted games such as telephone, while also diving into deeper topics such as the impact of bullying, and not judging someone before you get to know them.

“I really enjoyed GWAM because it was really interesting to see what other people feel,” freshman Lauren Kassawara said after the retreat. Another freshman, Hana Huynh, stated the retreat was very fun and that she was happy to make new friends and connections through GWAM.

“GWAM has definitely changed my perspective on empathy. It showed me that there are a lot of people who are going through similar things…it is our job to be empathetic towards one another because you never know the truth of someone’s story unless you get to know them” Senior Bradli Powell said. GWAM has spent several months working on how exactly they planned to teach these new high schoolers about the importance of sensitivity towards other people.

Along with the main goal of educating new students about GWAM’s mission, students were also given many opportunities to get to know some faces they did not know well, or even at all. Groups were picked at random allowing students to branch out and learn about more students going through different experiences. The event was not completely deep and made sure to feature entertainment allowing students to find other differences than students are typically surrounded by.

“My most memorable part of GWAM was when everyone finally got comfortable enough and started sharing their experiences and their peers around them comforted them.” GWAM leader Aubrielle Walker shared her first GWAM retreat as a leader. She strongly appreciates how students who had barely known each other felt safe and sympathetic.

Just as planned, students shared personal and broad situations teaching students to be upstanders and understand there are people around them who are safe to talk to and even without knowing the full picture.  It is safe to say LAHS GWAMs freshman retreat was a huge success for all who participated.