Thoughts on the finally finished STEM building

After three years of construction, Los Alamitos High School’s new STEM building is finally finished.

Sydney Forsyte

The new building seen from the front of the school.

Isabella Gasper and Sydney Forsyte

LOS ALAMITOS, CA– The building, which is over 85,000 square feet, holds a state-of-the-art engineering lab, STEM-focused workrooms, a college and career center, and a spacious media center for students to complete homework before, during, and after school. While some wonder if the result is worth the disruptive construction process, the three floors of modern architecture have received enthusiastic reviews from most of Los Al.

Principal Christiana Kraus, who will move into the new building soon, expresses its beauty and attention to detail; she loves how much space the classrooms and offices have given students and teachers alike opportunities to collaborate on school and faculty work.

There was a concentration on STEM, due to the fact that we know that these are the emerging careers and student interests. We wanted to ensure we brought [real] quality… collegiate experiences for our students.

— Christiana Kraus, Principal of Los Alamitos High School

Many STEM teachers moved into the new building, however, there is not enough space for all teachers to get a new classroom, including Mr. Jones who teaches AP Chemistry and Physics.

Mrs. Nadell, a tenth-grade chemistry teacher, said that she “definitely had to move because her old room was not a chemistry lab.” The new classrooms have a much bigger workspace as well as high-tech equipment for students to use as the year progresses.

Another addition to the main building is the new state-of-the-art library located in the media center. The library is scheduled to hopefully open on the week of September 12th to the 16th and includes high-interest books available for students to check out for their reading leisure. The library will include new and high-tech rolling bookshelves and will be open to students before and after school, making it available for them to work and read.

During the building’s design process, teacher, student, and staff opinions were considered. Teachers chose their rooms during a tour beforehand and gave input on classroom designs such as larger cabinets for chemistry. During a final walk-around, Principal Kraus pointed out that the staff needed a bigger mailroom. Students helped pick out furniture. Principal Kraus said, “The designers had [students] of different sizes and heights sit in [the chair options and decide which felt] the most comfortable.”

Nevertheless, some students have different views on how the new building was built, specifically if the continuous construction was worth how it turned out. Izabella Gwizdak, a senior at Los Al, said she was bombarded with noise during her freshman year, even while she took her finals. The constant commotion disrupted her concentration. Fortunately, a lot of the construction happened during the peak of Covid-19, when students were not at school. The construction also caused foot traffic to increase as areas on campus were restricted.  

Tristen Tanimura, a sophomore at Los Al, attended the opening ceremony for the building with Sound FX choir. Sound FX performed the national anthem followed by performances from Los Alamitos Jazz Band and Los Al Varsity Cheer.

Tanimura says that she loves the natural light from the windows in the new building. A junior, Heema Pal, said that now the building is finished, the campus has much more space and students feel less crowded than before.  However, Tanimura and a lot of other students wish the stairs were wider as they become overcrowded and bottlenecked.

The addition of the new STEM building is a change that affects all Griffins and brings our school into a new era. How will this new building affect you?